In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1feminine historiamasculine relatomasculine cuentoLiterature masculine cuentohe told us the story of his life — nos contó la historia de su vida
- tell me a story — cuéntame un cuento
- the book tells the story of the expedition — el libro relata la expedición
- that's a long story — eso es largo de contar
- but that's not the end of the story — pero ahí no termina
- according to his/your story — según él/tú
- what's the story? — bueno ¿qué pasa?
- he gave me the story on the new models — me dio información sobre los nuevos modelos
- that's (quite) another / a different story — eso es otro cantar
- it's a different story if you're poor — si eres pobre es muy diferente / es otro cantar
- the same old story — la (misma) historia de siempre
- Henry James is not a name that springs to mind when we think of adventure stories, prose epics or historical fiction.
- Both are finely observed and elegantly told stories of childhood and family life.
- The trusty Dr Watson narrates the stories of his adventures with the sleuth of Baker Street.
- I cry every time I read a sad love story.
- As the story unfolds, the real character of Harry comes out into full view.
- That's why people like to be told stories, so they can forget about their own lives and enter another world.
- Many SF and fantasy adventure stories are now written by female authors.
- We sat around the table and told stories until late into the night.
- I write adventure stories, thrillers, so most of my heroes spend their time running after the bad guys.
- Story telling and shadows have been around since the time of the cave people, when their fires flickered as they told stories in to the night.
- She didn't just dutifully put pen to paper, she told stories, painted pictures and opened a window into the frustrations and rare joys of her own life.
- The first film is a serious, atmospheric ghost story.
- None of the stories were real, but one story in particular had an effect on Joanna.
- I loved reading and filled my free time with Bible stories and adventure novels for young boys.
- There are romance stories, historical stories and adventures.
- It is a story packed with plotting, political intrigue and bloody warfare.
- It can't decide whether it is a detective story, a love story or a historical epic.
- His most recent work shows that a novel of philosophical analysis can be a real story.
- These days children do not have grandparents telling them folklore and stories from epics.
- Charlotte loved stories of romance and adventure, there had been so little romance or adventure in her life.
1.2feminine anécdotamasculine chistethere's an interesting story attached to this diamond — hay una historia interesante ligada a ese brillante
- There are stories and rumours of people who have already gone.
- For centuries, if not longer, there have been rumours and stories about a giant bird living in the remote areas of Australia.
- I could tell you a lot of stories about some of my pupil's mammies and daddies and what they got up to over the years, but I'm not going to.
- There the matter ended and six months passed without any further published stories or rumours.
- All you've heard are stories pieced together, some blown out of all proportion over time.
- While on Pictou Island, I heard stories about a lot of wasteful helicoptering by government.
- Along the way there were stories and rumours that the two did not get on but Serena is adamant that the duo are not involved in a bitter feud.
- You haven't seen each other in a while, you've got time to kill and you talk about how it's going, share gossip and stories from your club.
- Outside the official investigation, a different story began to circulate.
- Post quiz we headed off to the bar to catch up on gossip, swap stories and generally bond a bit.
- He fed his in-crowd with stories, gossip, tips and steers.
- In his letters, he gossips, tells wicked stories and speaks the unguarded truth.
- Rumours and stories about the site's future use have done the rounds for the past few years.
2(plot)argumento masculinetrama feminine
- The evidence becomes incontrovertible, leading the story to its logical denouement.
- I am supposed to move the story along and provide comic relief or cynicism wherever I can.
- But I think we always return because we are hungry for the same story, the same plot.
- The audience see it through Elaine's eyes and gradually the story unfolds and the pieces start to fall into place.
- They both have entirely messy stories, rife with plot holes and improbabilities.
- In its own way, the film works almost like a sequel to the comic, in that there are several new subplots and stories going on that weren't in the original.
- There are several coincidences in the story at present that hold it together flimsily.
- One option we talked about was framing the story itself in flashback with a narrator.
- As the plot unfolds, the story begins to collapse under the weight of its unanswered questions.
- Shock revelations follow as the story unravels, the plot thickens and the audience grows more intrigued.
- If you give people a compelling reason to come back every week for more pieces of a story, you will create rabid fans.
- Obviously we will be bringing you many other big news stories in your favourite newspaper over the coming 12 months.
- We only hope they will at least provide more careful, balanced statements during live broadcasts or in newspaper stories.
- We won't have to wait for front page stories in the newspaper about a bad product.
- One can read multiple news stories from different sources on the same subject.
- When he returned the local newspaper had a front-page story which made him cringe.
- As well as highlighting these positive stories, regional newspapers also generate good news by campaigning for local causes.
- That evening's television news and the next day's newspapers were full of stories about the lottery winner who had taken the cash.
- In newspapers across America, the story was presented as a humorous tale of incredible stupidity.
- If you want to dig deeper, I reckon the way news media report drugs stories is but one example of a problem related to how they define news.
- Two recent front page stories in this newspaper represent the poles of opinion on crime and punishment.
- Almost all lead stories in both major newspapers and network television news are about men's sports.
- Every report in an Irish newspaper initially reported similar stories, he said.
- I was disappointed, however, by the sensationalist way the story was presented.
- The policy shift has been the subject of numerous front-page news stories and op-eds.
- He has written more than 2,000 news and feature stories for print and broadcast media.
- This picture is taken from the local Spanish newspaper, where the traffic story is front page news.
- The story that news papers would of course like to run is imminent collapse and absolute disaster.
- Fiction sometimes presents a much more vivid perspective on events than we can ever glean from newspaper stories or television reports.
- Like any young sports fan in America at that time, he read newspapers and magazine stories about his heroes.
- He himself didn't find out about his dad's heroism until years later, when he read the story in a newspaper article.
3.2(newsworthy event)a reporter with a nose for a good story — un periodista con buen olfato para lo que es noticia
4informal(lie)cuento masculine informalmentira femininedon't tell stories — no me vengas con cuentos informal
1(of building)piso masculineplanta feminineon the first story — en el primer piso
- a four-story building — un edificio de cuatro pisos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.