In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- After you've properly planned your plank flooring, use a straight edge and a permanent marker to mark over the chalked lines.
- Measuring instruments, like levels and straight edges, are in that anomalous class of hand tools which do not directly affect the work piece, but only report on its status.
- Then, with a straight edge, score along your chalk line.
- Assemble the frieze sections on level ground, and against a straight edge to keep them square, before toenailing them to the 4x4 posts.
- Butt the crown molding up against the straight edge and nail it into place with finishing nails.
- Using a straight edge and black marker, Irvan draws a square.
- They checked to see if the slab would easily wrap around the pipe and then used a straight edge to cut out an appropriate-sized rectangle from the clay.
- I use a metal straight edge to tear paper and haven't had any trouble with detached metal particles although I have read that this can be a problem.
- I clamp a steel straight edge in a vise and just draw the surface over the steel edge a few times.
- Use a straight edge or ruler to help keep the blade vertical.
- The first line was marked using a straight edge, and the following marks were made using a custom made gauge attached to a modified plow.
- Use a straight edge and a single-edged razor to cut down the middle of the overlapped seam, making sure the razor cuts through both pieces of border.
- Using the metal ruler as a straight edge cut 10 1-inch right triangles with the craft knife.
- Setting out methods have changed little in five millennia: with nails, string, and a straight edge even the most elaborate design can be successfully laid out.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.