In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(uneven)the paint's dried streaky — el color no ha quedado uniforme al secarse la pintura
- The face seemed more strongly marked - streaky.
- After the season, the 21-year-old with the streaky blond hairdo kept the entertainment coming.
- Do you know, the subtle, streaky surface is far more appealing to me than the painting I'd removed?
- But the printer kept making streaky things on the paper, so I fruitlessly spent a half hour trying to fix that.
- During the breeding season, females look similar to breeding-season males, but the black back is streaked with white, and the head is streaky gray.
- My brother Norton stumbled out, his hand slipping from that of a pretty girl with long, streaky blonde hair.
- To avoid streaky polish, paint nails in two thin coats, using just three strokes - right, left and middle.
- The attacker is described as white, with an Irish accent, streaky hair, which is possibly grey, and face stubble.
- The Lincoln's Sparrow is a small, streaky sparrow, similar in appearance to the Song Sparrow, but smaller and paler than the dark Song Sparrows seen in Washington.
- I don't want to be white, and I have used fake tans before but they came out streaky.
- Torrential rain makes the car streaky so a lot of people ask for an outside wash after a bad spell of weather.
- Women travellers should also avoid ill-fitting bikinis, armpit hair, white strap marks, streaky tans, cellulite, tattoos, body piercing and getting drunk.
- Her streaky brown hair fell in soft waves against her face and on her shoulders.
- It was brown and streaky with touches of yellow.
- Sara had recently cut her streaky blonde hair in a new style, and wisps of it hung out when she pulled it back, like today.
- When the leaves start to change color and the sunlight becomes streaky, signaling the long autumn this region enjoys, the Millers visit their retreat every weekend.
- The nephrogram has a streaky and striated appearance reflecting stasis of contrast in the dilated collecting tubules which can be prolonged for days after the IVP.
- The extreme atmospheric changes from streaky red sunset over blue sky to foreboding blackness felt Biblical.
- Surely, for £10 million, we could build the new police station with quality stone features instead of a boring square that will look a dirty, streaky eyesore within three years.
- In some places it is primeval and wet, where streaky barked eucalyptus strive upwards through dripping mists alive with frog croaks.
2BritishCookingstreaky pork — (fresco) tocino entreverado masculine
- Washington is streaky, but he has decent athleticism and the size to play defensive end.
- ‘I was very streaky in the semis, but fortunately I had an early lead on Carol, which took some of the pressure off,’ said Dorin-Ballard.
- Known as a streaky player throughout his career, Hidalgo is mechanically sound but starts his swing too late in the pitcher's windup and was unable to successfully adapt to a new batting approach this season.
- Pound for pound he is probably the longest hitter in golf, and when his streaky putter clicks, he is capable of overpowering any course or opponent.
- I would call myself a streaky putter and I didn't putt well last year, apart from on two or three occasions.
- That makes Rice more of a streaky sixth man than a consistent spark.
- I've done 28 and 42, so I believe I'm truly a streaky kicker anyway.
- A streaky shooter, Peeler's defensive lapses and poor shot selection were major concerns last season for a team that could use his potential firepower off the bench.
- Jonty's job was to keep the players on their toes; keep urging them to strive for perfection; to watch the next ball; to catch the next catch; to run-out the next streaky run-stealer.
- Both Townsend and Logan are streaky kickers, while Hodge's attempts to replicate his Reivers form in a Scotland shirt have been worryingly fitful.
- Some are just plain streaky and unpredictable.
- ‘Lately my game has been very streaky,’ said Barrette.
- I am very streaky, though; when I do get on a roll I hole just about everything from close range.
- Although the Australian then failed to connect cleanly, his streaky shot still managed to sneak in at the near post.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.