In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1calle feminine(theater/musician) callejeroto cross the street — cruzar la calle
- I met him on / in the street — me lo encontré en / por la calle
- it's on / in Elm Street — queda en la calle Elm
- the landlord put them out on the street — el dueño los echó a la calle
- they were left on the streets — se quedaron sin techo / en la calle
- the demonstration brought 20,000 people onto the streets — 20.000 personas se volcaron a la calle para manifestarse
- we took to the streets to protest against tax increases — salimos a la calle a protestar contra los aumentos en los impuestos
- to walk the streets — hacer la calle
- anyone could just walk in off the street and take it — cualquiera podría entrar y llevárselo
- the whole street turned out to welcome them — todos los vecinos salieron a recibirlos
- the Street — Wall Street
- to be on easy street — estar forrado
- if we get it, we'll be on easy street — si lo logramos, nos llenamos de oro
- to be on the streets — hacer la calle
- to go on the streets — prostituirse
- to be right up one's street
- the job would be right up her street — sería un trabajo ideal para ella
- the movie is right up your street — es justo el tipo de película que a ti te encanta
- to be streets ahead of sb/sth
- the company is streets ahead of its competitors — la compañía está muy por encima de la competencia
- she's streets ahead of her classmates — les da mil vueltas a sus compañeros de clase
- to be streets apart
- the two sides are still streets apart — todavía hay un abismo entre las dos partes
- he's just not in the same street as Picasso — no le llega ni a los talones / ni a la suela de los zapatos a Picasso
- street map / plan — plano de la ciudad
- street people — gente de la calle
- Does the county council care nothing for our freedom to use the streets of our town?
- Do you know how hard it is to walk through the shattered streets of my city and see how hard it fell?
- You will find them in every hostel and roaming the streets of our major cities and towns.
- The number of coffee shops in our city streets has multiplied in the last few years.
- It might take the form of a large open space, or be held along one or more streets of the town.
- She was the second vice girl to be killed on the town's streets in less than six months.
- The streets of the cities and the roads of the country as a whole are dominated by workers and the poor.
- It will be the first time that many streets in the town will have received this type of service.
- He steps outside and heads into town and the streets are awash with frustrated fans.
- It has become impossible to pass through streets and roads at night because of dogs.
- He said extra police would be on the town's streets while the crime is investigated.
- The amount of chewing gum stuck on roads and streets around the country drives me up the wall.
- There is a chase through the streets of the city that will blow what remains of your mind.
- He was caught behind the wheel of a stolen car after a chase through the city's streets.
- We shall also be holding a public march through the streets of York in the next few weeks.
- It should make it possible for commuters to be able to talk and text beneath the city streets.
- It tends to focus on the city centre, with its wide streets and huge civic buildings.
- Groups of youths roam the streets at night but there are not enough police to keep an eye on the place.
- Mr Ellis said he hoped to set up a patrol group to watch over the village streets.
- He had had to make a conscious effort to learn the streets and roads in the city.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.