In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Impetigo is a skin infection that is generally caused by one of two bacteria: Group A streptococcus or Staphylococcus aureus.
- In many cases, these organisms are streptococci or staphylococci bacteria.
- Other agents occasionally implicated are pneumococci, staphylococci, streptococci, and Candida albicans.
- Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.
- By using sugar fermentation, bacteriologists observed that haemolytic streptococci of human origin were broadly differentiated from those of bovine origin.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.