In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(grande) limusina feminine
- It was just me and the note, alone in the back seat of a stretch limo.
- Two people in a white stretch limo stuck in traffic may seem like an extravagance.
- Kate was in the back of a stretch limo and she was being driven to the championship game.
- Just seconds after she had said that, a white stretch limo pulled into the bus depot.
- When it was her birthday last June we hired a stretch limo and all dressed as cheerleaders.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.