In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hacer desnudar y registrarI was strip-searched for drugs — me hicieron desnudar y me registraron para ver si llevaba drogas
- Just last week they strip-searched a young mother right in front of her small children!
- The officer in charge strip-searched the appellant prior to lodging her in a cell.
- The reporter, cameraman and driver were strip-searched in separate interrogation chambers.
- He is handcuffed, strip-searched and brutalised by French officials who throw him into jail.
- They strip-search him and briefly make him stand nude.
- The pair were handcuffed, taken to the county jail, strip-searched and charged with criminal trespass.
- Indeed, immigration officials of many countries strip-search persons traveling with diplomatic passports.
- At one point in 1999, nearly 70,000 people were suing the police over being strip-searched for minor offences like fare-dodging.
- There, they strip-searched me, made me put on an orange jump suit and cut off all my hair, just like a criminal.
- A woman reported being strip-searched in jail by four male officers, then left naked.
- When she protested they threatened to strip-search her.
- Police had a warrant to search her home for drugs, but did not have magistrates' permission to strip-search people there.
- They were strip-searched, sprayed for lice and locked up with chains around their ankles.
- Male and female arrestees say they were strip-searched that night.
- Many prisoners say they were denied adequate water and food, and women were strip-searched by male guards.
- Protesters sued after accusing the police of firing rubber bullets at demonstrators and strip-searching those arrested.
- They were strip-searched, given orange uniforms and mattresses, and led to their respective cells.
- Six members of the protest were taken to Fitzgibbon Street Garda station, where the two women were strip-searched.
- ‘I was strip-searched three times during intake and given only a long T-shirt to wear,’ he said.
- They have to submit to being strip-searched regularly in case drugs or weapons are being hidden on their person.
registro al que se somete a una persona y en el que se le exige desnudarse
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.