In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(narrow band)raya femininelista femininea white shirt with blue stripes — una camisa blanca con rayas / listas azules
- They were black with black laces and there were three metallic dark blue stripes on the sides of each shoe.
- The chain was fastened to the back of her collar, giving her a gleaming silver stripe down her back.
- He pranced out and the first thing I noticed were the tiger stripes painted on his finger nails.
- A short-sleeved turquoise T-shirt with horizontal white stripes was found near her body.
- Today's choice was sporting orange and black vertical stripes.
- I bought a black sleeveless Lycra shirt with yellow and white diagonal stripes across the chest.
- The car had a red stripe down both sides.
- I'd rather have the old fatigue uniform than wear the proposed tiger stripes.
- I asked this young woman dressed in a black blouse and black skirt both of which had white pin stripes.
- Also, stay away from patterns like polka dots, zebra stripes, and camouflage.
- He wore a navy blue, three-piece pin stripe suit and a blood red tie.
- Drape the green ends evenly to form stripes down the side of the cone.
- One mirror has a thick vertical fluorescent orange stripe of paint running up its center, the other a horizontal.
- They are but odd shapes painted in zebra stripes which are galling to discerning motorists.
- Be sure to calculate stripe width based on your room measurements.
- He was wearing a beige sweater with a stripe across the chest.
- He was black with searing neon green stripes down his back.
- The left side consists of a black triangle with a horizontal yellow stripe flanked by two bright blue stripes.
- He had earned the first black stripe on his Brown Belt.
- Alfalfa weevils are small green worms with a light stripe down the back.
1.2Militarygalón masculineto get/lose one's stripes — ser ascendido/degradado
- My sergeants had earned their stripes in Korea.
- Three other Haitians arrived before he left and noticed his sergeant's stripes.
- It doesn't help when officers decide to give sergeant stripes out to fill slots.
- He glanced down at the admiral's stripes adorning his uniform and scoffed.
- GEMs have also found their stripes in the military.
- Within 2 1/2 years, I was proudly wearing my sergeant stripes.
- She straightened one of the epaulettes on his shoulders that bore the four gold stripes of his rank.
- The Columbia's executive officer, the cuffs of his sleeves adorned with three solid yellow stripes of his rank, entered the foyer.
- There is a ceremony for bestowing the temporary stripes on students before the six-week period of general military training.
- The epaulettes on the choker tunic of his black naval uniform bore the four stripes of his rank.
- Each bore a pair of stripes on his sleeve, color depending on what legion of mages he supervised.
- Since I always needed more money, I figured I needed to get my sergeant stripes.
- He wore a plain green uniform and beret with stripes indicating that he was an officer of the Army.
- He stood up and tugged on his navy blue tunic and adjusted the cuffs of his sleeves, which bore the four gold solid stripes of his rank.
- The black male had on an Army jacket with E - 6 sergeant stripes.
- Mark stood in blue uniform with gold stripes on his collar and black weapons handing from his belt.
- Ivy League diplomas and military stripes no longer predominate.
- Rifle squad leaders and weapon platoon section heads donned staff sergeant stripes.
- He was being so proud in his uniform, showing the stripes of his rank and smiling that smile.
2(type)people of all political stripes — gente de todas las tendencias (políticas)
- two women of similar stripe — dos mujeres del mismo corte / tipo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.