In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1strong-arm tactics — mano dura feminine
- Today's unions are employing the same strong-arm tactics used to oppress the industrial work force of the 19th century.
- This begins with Israel, where a wave of Palestinian suicide attacks gave justification to Sharon's strong-arm tactics.
- These strong-arm tactics include garnishing a man's paycheck, revoking his driver's license, and sending him to jail.
- They have been criticised recently for strong-arm tactics, rolling around in tanks, but not doing enough intelligence.
- This is a typical example of a large company trying to use strong-arm tactics to force an asset out of the hands of an individual.
- These seemingly tough men, employing strong-arm tactics, expect wives to be their psychic nurses.
- Suge's reputation for strong-arm business tactics and how that approach was used to bribe and manipulate are also documented.
- He is someone the camorra ‘must’ silence, but any strong-arm tactics would create a hero.
- How free are we in a world dominated by the great American empire and multinational corporations exerting strong-arm tactics on smaller nations?
- Some human right organisations tried to defy the whip on September 21, but they were terrorised by the strong-arm tactics of the upper castes.
- Air Canada's strong-arm tactics prompted the Deluces to sue, and the two sides settled out of court after a two-year fight.
- His vigorous defense in fielding the attacks made by regime politicians has shown he does not cower from strong-arm tactics.
- The Senate is on high alert now, despite your sponsor's strong-arm tactics.
- Already deeply suspicious of just about everything, China is no stranger to using such strong-arm tactics to regulate the Internet.
- Most members of the Legislature feel cowed by the governor's strong-arm tactics.
- Competitors allege that he used strong-arm tactics to build his empire.
- The RIAA, on behalf of its members, fights to stop the piracy of digital music files using what some would call strong-arm tactics.
- Bullying tactics and strong-arm conduct will assist no one in the resolution of the delicate issues affecting our education system.
- Some might argue that there is nothing wrong with these sort of strong-arm tactics.
- These patterns demonstrate that the Republicans' strong-arm tactics in Florida made sense.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.