In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estirado masculine informalestirada feminine informal
- So we had this big meeting with some of these executives around a conference table, and talk about your stuffed shirts.
- At this point Hemmer (a stuffed shirt if I ever saw one) got this grin on his face and asked Cliff if he'd read the Wall Street Journal this morning.
- Elle's sunny optimism and fashion sense among the sober stuffed shirts of Washington is cute.
- There are a lot of stuffed shirts out there who would never publicly admit to making an error.
- Good for Radio 4 doing a second series after all the stuffed shirts complained about their first one because of their irreverent and unstuffy presentation.
- With reference to the story ‘Councillors Oppose Farmer's Housing Plan ’, Holtby parish councillors should take off their stuffed shirts and give this guy a chance.
- The elder must be respectable - not a sourpuss or a stuffed shirt - but a man who has gained respect.
- I really really really can't understand why, way back in the early 80s, stuffed shirts somehow portrayed that pop group as the end of music.
- He portrayed that stuffed shirt of a husband seems to be a frightfully correct pillar of the new establishment.
- Where are all these stuffed shirt, right-wing conservatives coming from?
- The next year, by way of riposte to the stuffed shirts, Havers achieved fame by qualifying for the Open Championship at the age of 16.
- The image, rightly or wrongly, is of stuffed shirts dining on caviar and champagne before snoozing in a private box as two overweight ageing juveniles make mad, passionate musical love to each other.
- The film was about a rebel battling against the stuffed shirts, and that's me.
- What do those stuffed shirts who read the Wall Street Journal wear on casual Fridays?
- By adding more jocularity, which has included Miles prank-calling Gooden on road trips, Kansas has become a team that is less of a stuffed shirt.
- Perhaps they have Personality Parties on the weekend, where they let it all hang out, and then button their stuffed shirts up for the week ahead, and I just haven't been invited to these parties.
- I anticipate that any number of stuffed shirts in London will back me up on these conclusions.
- Some of the stuffed shirts at the Commission might be expected to look askance at this sort of harmless nepotism.
- She sized him up in a minute and a half and told me he was a stuffed shirt and a pretentious snob.
- Thus commences a nightlong battle of the sexes, with Woo trying to loosen up the stuffed shirt and Tim trying to tame this female firestorm.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.