In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in pillow, mattress, toy)relleno masculine
- The stuffing of the tooled-leather cushion rustled as I settled into it.
- Fur and the stuffing of the cushion rustled as he sat and settled himself.
- They're transfixed, except for one boy in the back row who's busy picking the stuffing out of his cushion.
- Flax mills were built on the north-west side of the Takaka Hill, producing fibre used for rope, sacks, upholstery stuffing and linen.
- The punching bag lay in a thousand blackened pieces on the floor, material and stuffing scattered everywhere.
- All the stuffed animals' stuffing was ripped from the stitches including their plastic black eyes.
- Dried moss was replaced by synthetic materials used in stuffing car seats and furniture.
- The yards are full of derelict cars, broken-down furniture, sofas with the stuffing bursting out.
- The curtains hung across the windows looked worn and on some of the chairs I could see the stuffing coming through the cushions.
- He had vehemently denied that syringes used in the hospital ended up in adjacent medical shops, and that bloodied cotton wads made good stuffing for mattresses.
- The stuffing beneath the worn velvet seat cover sighed to wafer thinness under her negligible weight.
- The others huddle behind the furniture as blasts rip into the green leather, stuffing flying into the air.
- Her hands had grasped the chair's cushion and ripped out part of the stuffing that was put inside.
- Used dryer sheets are perfect for this kind of stuffing or even tiny fabric scraps that are too small for other uses.
- The stallholder is another multi-tasker, rolling the crêpes and their stuffing with one hand while using the other to coax new sheets of wet rice paper off a steamer with a long chopstick.
- You need to cook the stuffing separately or it will absorb too much of the fat.
- Any remaining stuffing can be scattered over the fish.
- Fill the mushrooms with the anchovy and olive stuffing and place them in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish.
- Fill the hollows in the squash with the stuffing, cover with buttered foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- On a hard roll, layer turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing with a little mayonnaise.
- They are filled to the brim with three stuffings: meat (pork and beef with onion, garlic); cheese and potato; sauerkraut and wild mushroom.
- Don't try to put too much stuffing inside the rolls, it only makes them harder to roll and more prone to tearing.
- Fill each pig leg with the stuffing, secure with butcher's twine, and set aside.
- Bring up the sides of the dough and pinch to enclose the stuffing.
- Season the stuffing with salt and black pepper, and pile the filling into the tomato halves.
- In 17th and 18th-century English recipes, mixtures for stuffings and forcemeats of many types are recorded.
- Make the stuffing by combining the garlic, parsley, coriander, lemon, capers, breadcrumbs and almonds.
- The stuffing was seasoned with salt and the bird coated with flour and strips of fat bacon and then roasted in the black oven pot with coals on the lid to maintain an even temperature.
- To make the stuffing, whiz the bread in a food processor until it forms fine crumbs.
- Substitute any leftover bread from making stuffing for the baguette.
- The poblano is the most popular pepper for both roasting and stuffing.
- The minced stuffing is then wrapped with tofu skin before being deep fried in oil and topped with a few fresh cucumber slices as a finishing touch.
- Open the incision with your fingers and spoon the stuffing into the pocket.
- Cut a pouch in the center of each pork chop and fill with the stuffing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.