In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(success) sensacional(success) clamoroso(performance) sensacional(performance) estupendo(defeat) aplastante(defeat) apabullante(dress/beauty) despampanante(dress/beauty) deslumbrante(person) despampanantethe fabric is stunning — la tela es una preciosidad
- My new temporary home in Encinitas was quite superb, walking distance away from stunning California beaches.
- I don't know what's more stunning his poetic use of language or his photography.
- The book presents gems of new information, with stunning visual records of life in Mayo, in a fresh and accessible way.
- The Three Sisters was originally a 1850s farm house with stunning views across the Worth Valley towards Ilkley Moor.
- Andrea Elvey hit the post before stunning interplay between Jo Martin and Kirsty Ormrod led to Brooks firing in Kendal's second.
- Vintage jewelry can be used as beautiful drapery tie-backs and they make stunning additions to wrapped presents.
- The hotel, which opened in 1974, sits high above Langbank and the grounds have stunning views over the Firth of Clyde.
- For a truly stunning evening, the English National Ballet performs the adorable Swan Lake each night this week until Saturday.
- For some exciting winter fishing in stunning surroundings, try Loch Alvie near Aviemore or the western fjords of Quoich or Arkaig.
- There is nowhere better to experience stunning scenery, great country pubs and warm hospitality than the Yorkshire Dales.
- Safin said he feels like he's been to hell and back since his stunning US Open win but has finally emerged as a better player.
- Eddie's stunning Donegal girlfriend Michelle Doherty was also present.
- In June and July, the white scented flowers have stunning golden stamens that are followed by dark purple-blue berries in autumn.
- It wasn't until the 83rd minute that Fairfield scored their third goal through a Horsefield stunning solo run and finish.
- But one of the most stunning scenes of the movie was one of the least violent.
- By the mid-1990s some stunning organic wines were gracing the shelves.
- Having reached the peak, we got a stunningly beautiful view of the verdant valley below encircled by green hills.
- Finally tonight, the Mars rover Opportunity today sent stunning new images of Mars back to earth.
- The events of 1973 represented a magnificent achievement, the climax of eight stunning years at the top.
- On the flight back, I was seated next to a stunningly beautiful Spanish woman.
2(punch) contundentethe news came as a stunning blow to his hopes — la noticia echó por tierra sus esperanzas
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.