In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pigsty)pocilga femininechiquero masculine Latin America
1(on eyelid)orzuelo masculine
- His poor little eyes were nearly closed with styes and when I touched his cheeks, his flesh had the soft, limp feeling of malnutrition.
- She has had numerous episodes of chest infections, blepharitis, recurrent styes, otitis externa, otitis media, with oozing and pussy ears.
- Her mother's knowledge includes remedies such as ‘tea bags for sties, compresses for ear infections and antibiotics for throat infections.’
- At the risk of this blog becoming no more than a personal record of health maladies both real and imagined, I have this painful godawful stye in the outside corner of my right eye.
- Soak a washcloth in the solution, gently wring it, and apply it to the stye for 15 minutes two or three times a day.
- It all began last Monday, before my beloved sty was even a red twinkle just below my eye.
- We had another day at home, doing quiet things with our Christmas toys and hoping the stye wouldn't get worse.
- Check with your ophthalmologist to ensure that you don't have a sty which is causing the inflammation, or any type of infection.
- But it was still cold, only just above freezing, and I have a theory that skin infections of any kind, even a mild one like a stye, are liable to worsen when exposed to bitterly cold air.
- Patty told me that she has inherited the cure for warts, styes and other ailments, passed to her from her mother who had them passed to her from her own mother, Patty s grandmother.
- The stye usually causes pain, redness and swelling of the entire lid.
- If the sty stays or affects your vision, see your doctor.
- A stye is caused by infection of a gland at the base of one or more eyelashes.
- A sty is an infection of one of the follicles from which the eyelashes grow.
- Usually the staphylococcal bacteria are not concentrated enough to do any harm, but sometimes they pass deeper into the skin to cause boils, abscesses, styes and carbuncles.
- A stye is an infection of a tear gland at the edge of the eyelid.
- A sty is a small, inflamed swelling of a sebaceous gland on the rim of an eyelid.
- Fourteen cases presented with sties on their right upper eyelids, six on their right lower lids, 13 on their left upper lids, and three on their left lower lids.
- It was a complete sty; papers littered the ground, dirty dishes were in the sink, and the windows were covered with a grimy film.
- I'm gonna catch a disease with my clothes torn, my body sweating and now, having to crawl through an absolute sty of filth!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.