1(gloom/darkness) estigio literary
- Shall thou, unburied, view the Stygian waters and the Furies' strong river, and unbidden draw near the bank?
- Light is drawn down into the bowels of this Stygian labyrinth through a series of vertical shafts that extend upwards to a plateau-like terrace wedged into the hillside at roof level.
- The star-nosed mole, operating in the Stygian darkness of its burrow, can detect the presence of a tasty tidbit, such as an insect larva or tiny worm.
- The darkness of their hearts is infinite, Stygian - black as an adder, or Hitler's mustachios.
- The gleaming steel catches the sunlight, casting a play of sparkling reflections and shadows into the Stygian, subterranean depths.