In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(manner of acting)estilo masculinehis style of living — su estilo de vida
- telling lies is not my style — decir mentiras no va conmigo
- that's the style! — ¡así me gusta!
- So the dancers are all shapes and colors and they are all professionals, but they come from different styles, different techniques.
- The changes in teaching styles and methods the Bologna package calls for also strike at the core of faculty traditions and culture.
- It is the journey and the path to this truth that is enumerated in different styles and manners in the various religions.
- The development of primary care depends on high quality managers who are able to draw on a range of different management skills and styles.
- Teachers with very different teaching styles and approaches can be equally effective.
- The different styles also implicitly allude to the political power differentials that are associated with various regional identities.
- Both have different management styles for their funds.
- The survey showed that all programmes encourage self directed learning and allow for different learning styles and practice environments.
- Most of them find that learning and teaching styles are completely different to that in Asia.
- Their management styles too are very different.
- The two have different management styles with one trying to override the other by verbal aggression.
- Japanese companies were praised for their management styles and production techniques.
- In addition, the different management styles of teachers and their implementation in the classroom are discussed.
- Faculty from many schools present sessions at the conference, allowing an opportunity to observe different teaching styles.
- This is a mutual fund that further diversifies risk by investing in several hedge funds that invest in different sectors and have different strategies and management styles.
- Radically refined social inequalities can be portrayed as reflecting different styles of practice.
- I find ‘brainstorming’ an effective way to create modifications to teaching styles and procedures.
- In trials of different styles of patient management, surgical procedures, or alternative therapies, full blinding is often impossible.
- In each case, I've thoroughly enjoyed the relationship and learned a great deal about different management styles.
- It's about imagining how to implement different program management styles, or how to collect data, or how to advocate on issues.
1.2Art Literature Musicestilo masculineinteriors in the Baroque style — interiores de estilo barroco
- in the style of William Morris — al estilo / a la manera de William Morris
- a publisher with a closely defined house style — una editorial con normas de estilo muy definidas
- These are some characteristics of the writing style of someone under a lot of stress or tension.
- Except for the language style and certain details, one cannot believe that the novel was written in 1895.
- Mr Midgley criticised our website and the style of language used.
- Ascari uses non-technical language in a narrative style that is easy to read.
- Here are a few of the letters, interesting to modern readers for their content and the formal style of writing.
- The contemporary material is the most accessible, probably because of our familiarity to both the characters, and the writing style.
- I'm enjoying connecting with the characters again, and I love the style and the period.
- The tone, the attitude, the style, the language; all have changed significantly.
- The baroque style with its florid language and stock allegories lasted longer in Ukraine than in Western Europe.
- Latham is overly fond of a technocratic style of language, favoured by business elites.
- The result is minimal body language, vocal styles that are close to a monotone, and a limited range of facial expressions.
- The positive aspects of the German period can be seen in the charming style of older buildings in the city.
- Will it ever be possible for a period to produce a style which is entirely original, or is our fashion fated to rest on what came before?
- Although a loose chronology is evident in the development from one style to another, earlier styles of wall painting were renewed in later periods.
- Thank you so much for the compliments on my writing style and my characters.
- The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission has ordered Prince Harry to stop stealing Aboriginal symbols and painting styles.
- This transition from home to the centre of the avant-garde is omnipresent in her painting style.
- At only 32, he is already an influential journalist with a unique style and affection for political analysis.
- The series features all styles and periods of buildings, from country houses and gothic castles to a radar station and a water mill - dating from medieval times to the 20th century.
- Here's part of a speech he gave in Sydney during that turbulent campaign, and it's worth listening to the style of language he uses.
- One topic that should be treated at greater length is the congregations' views of their worship spaces and their buildings' architectural styles.
- More than the style of language has changed at the paper since then.
- While the architectural style of buildings is not all that make a city, it does reflect on the lifestyle of the majority of citizens.
- The single-story building reflected the architectural style of the church and used part of an existing boundary wall.
- Selected writers will represent as broad a range of languages and styles as possible.
- Muslims consider the Quran itself to be a miracle because of the inimitability of its style and language.
- Though I'm developing my writing style, this story showed me how weak my main characters are.
- With choice to select a melodious tune, they have captions with the style of the English language being flowery.
- Someone can hear them and even if they don't know the language they embrace the style.
- The image becomes abstract, but is evocative of specific styles of modernist painting.
- During his lifetime, the artist went through different periods of characteristic painting styles.
- Reporters, individually or in groups, could use the Net to raise money directly from readers interested in specific stories or journalistic styles.
- They use their painting styles to insert their artistic goals into their pictures.
- The post-modern era taught us to respect styles as languages and codes for messages of social value.
- The tract was kept deliberately short in order to make it widely accessible and the style of language was uniquely devoid of philosophy.
- The project also has in its care 14 buildings of various architectural styles from the late 19th century to the early years of the 20th.
- This is a common style in most languages to connote preference.
- Her style is journalistic more than literary or academic, the prose, simple, and her curiosity, endless.
- The Japanese language includes sharply divergent styles of speech for men and women.
- I felt the writing style was solid and the characters real.
2(fashionable elegance)estilo masculinehe/she has style — tiene estilo
- you handled the situation with style — te desenvolviste elegantemente en la situación
- to live/travel in style — vivir/viajar a lo grande
- they were married in style — se casaron a lo grande / por todo lo alto
- can you keep her in the style to which she is accustomed? — ¿va a poder darle el estilo de vida al que está acostumbrada?
- If it is style, elegance and grandeur you are after then this five-bed detached property may be the home for you.
- As local real estate prices have soared, so has the region's reputation for style and taste.
- But records do not reveal the elegance and style with which most of his runs were made.
- Waterford Crystal, the epitome of style and elegance, is the world's most successful luxury crystal brand.
- But when a temple of style and urban sophistication founders on ambience, food and service, it doesn't leave much to cling to.
- Is he dripping with charm, style and panache as well?
- You could have your visitors gasping in admiration at your elegance and style with this prize.
- This kind of fridge has become a symbol of taste, elegance, style and wealth.
- In recent years her style has become more sophisticated, elegant and streamlined.
- Consumption is more than just French style and taste, it represents the positioning of the self in a larger world.
- I'd like to say that I did it with style and elegance but I suspect that would be a lie.
- I never imagined that Sichuan dishes could be made in such an elegant and exquisite style.
- Today, his star is fading and so is the idea that he is an icon of style and musical sophistication.
- The name Odeon, on the other hand, retains an air of tradition, elegance and style.
- The two of them have very similar tastes and sense of style so coming together was obvious.
- On the outback road from Sydney to Melbourne, Tony Perrottet finds sophistication and style in the wild.
- His sense of style ranged from the elegant to the outrageous.
- Visiting the house, you can relive the previous tenants' elegant style of life.
- Despite our growing celebrity status we had no sophistication or sense of style.
3.1(type, model)diseño masculinemodelo masculine
- The hotel is in the heart of the CBD and offers two distinctive room styles.
- Distinctive styles of local pottery appear around 2500 BC along with Neolithic polished stone axes.
- Todd English became a star in the culinary world with his distinctive style of layering flavors and textures.
- The channel has ordered 20 episodes of the ‘battling grillers’ whose dishes reflect their distinctive styles.
- The question as to how and why some Indigenous footballers play distinctive styles of the game has, as a result, been rarely addressed.
- Few guitarists can claim to have developed a style as distinctive as his, and rarely has such a weak vocal technique been used so evocatively.
- Maurice is a popular artist and has contributed to numerous group shows and his distinctive style will be familiar to many.
- Although the earlier devices felt a bit like plastic toys, this one proclaims its style with its appearance.
- Stalin had to rehabilitate his predecessors to make his style appear progressive.
- The beer has the thick white head and cloudy, unfiltered appearance associated with the style.
- What we have here are a series of large, eight foot high canvases, generally untitled, painted in a number of styles, and appearing to hark back principally to Abstract Expressionism.
- There's also the use of rocks, the inclusion of informal ponds, and a less verdant appearance than other styles.
- The depth of failure, therefore, produces distinctive styles of intrusion.
- Several other small Ibibio masks in an angular style appear in the literature.
- We are also partnering with home decor licensors to bring distinctively unique styles of wall decor to our retailers.
- His style is distinctive and demanding, but I had mixed feelings about the film.
- Distinctive styles of music and dance are associated with various social classes.
- Both tracks conjure compelling images of the sun and warmth with their distinctive, distortion-cloaked guitar styles.
- Since such coping styles appear to be shaped by prior experience, they may, in part, explain why earlier trauma can place an individual at risk.
- His distinctive style, a melange of watercolor and collage, resonates on every page.
3.2(fashion)moda femininethe style is currently for a baggier outline — actualmente se lleva la ropa más holgada
- in the style of the 1950s — al estilo de los años 50
- long skirts are back in style — las faldas largas vuelven a estar de moda
- to go out of style — pasar de moda
- to spend money as if / like it's going out of style — gastar dinero como si fuera agua
- As stated above, the key to looking stylish is to avoid wearing an outfit that's too matchy-matchy with colors, styles, or brands.
- Since we choose the style of clothing we wear, we in essence can direct how others perceive us based on our objectives.
- Accepted styles of clothing today incur far less trouble from the weather than did the long women's skirt of the Victorian period.
- Africans used them to create new styles of clothing appropriate to their needs and identities, which later were called traditional or ‘tribal’ dress.
- This time around he went for being modern, by encompassing modern styles and techniques with Chanel's intricate classic designs.
- What follows is a sampling of tech golf shirt styles from a variety of suppliers.
- Primeau said interior design trends tend to reflect the fashion styles of clothing, two years later.
- Boxers come in a variety of styles, colors and patterns that give each pair its own personality.
- The girls were starved for news of the outside world, so Abbey told them all about the new celebrities, styles of clothing, and types of music.
- Like hats, or certain styles of clothing, some look good on some people, some don't.
- But if the clothing and performance styles resemble those from US hip hop, the music is undeniably Cuban.
- All kinds of music, all kinds of clothing styles and linguistic impulses pass through there.
- What clothing styles, jewelry, scarves, and colors do you suggest to feel confident and look cute in?
- What are your favorite styles or pieces of clothing that defy trends?
- Big sleeves were in a variety of Chinese clothing styles from various dynasties.
- Men's urban and rural clothing styles vary by region.
- Also, keep in mind that certain clothing styles and fabrics offer better protection from the sun than do others.
- She had no idea how to navigate through such a big shop and choose her style of clothing.
- Clothing styles and various garments may come and go, but the shoe remains.
- Just get a wide variety of styles and try everything on, and critique the look in the mirror.
3.3hair stylepeinado masculine
4formal(form of address, title)título masculine
- With a living trust, you need to be sure all of your assets and investments are styled in the name of the trust for the rest of your life.
- Five pistils were dissected from flowers and the stigmas and styles were mounted on aluminium stubs using carbon paste.
- This has been used previously to detect ethylene biosynthesis successfully from a variety of flowers and floral tissues including styles and during pollen tube growth.
- Stromules were also observed in epidermal cells of the style and the stigma.
- As the pistil emerged from the bracts, the style elongated and the stigma expanded markedly in size and, finally, became receptive to pollen.
- The flowers are purplish-pink, with five petals, and the ovary usually has three styles.
1formal(name, designate)llamarhe styles himself Count/Maestro — se hace llamar conde/maestro
- the Action Plan, as the new initiative is styled — el Plan de Acción, como se ha dado en llamar a la nueva iniciativa
- Sleek modern bikes are aggressively styled with names to match: ‘Pulsar’, ‘Victor’, etc.
- Marsh and Swann team up, styling themselves as ‘the Gilbert And Sullivan of photography’, snapping their clients against imaginative tableau.
- If his future wife is styled Duchess of Cornwall, she will be taking his name, since that is one of his existing titles.
- The House of Commons, too, was horrified at the notion of a Scottish king styling himself ‘King of Great Britain’.
- Well-known atheist, Richard Dawkins, now styles himself as A Devil's Chaplain, the title of a recent book.
- Hersh styles himself an investigative reporter, but he has a history of coming up with ‘scoops’ that can never be verified by anyone else.
- Another, styling themselves ‘Kraska’, left a link to a mysterious Russian site.
- A group styling itself, Concerned Parents Against Drugs, claimed responsibility for the attack and said they had seized the drugs from the man they had abducted.
- By the time he was 14, Rod was in a skiffle band with schoolmates from Nunthorpe Grammar, styling themselves the Green Corn Boys.
- But Wirahad won points with the public by styling himself as a reformer advocating the armed forces' retreat from politics.
2(design, shape)(clothes/car/furniture) diseñarto style hair — peinar
- These cuts define how your pants are styled and designed in terms of fit and how they fall.
- Has the nation, has Congress, has this administration yet had a belly full of Social Security reform, as the president is styling it?
- At a time when most tract houses were traditionally styled in clapboard or stucco - and not designed by architects - the Eichler stood out.
- It's no good just styling the products other people produce.
- The seats of the magistrates were all behind us and were styled in pew fashion.
- Mallya also plans to have his planes styled by India's leading fashion designers.
- It's no mistake that it looks as exotic as a Ferrari: it was styled in-house by the Nam Yang design team in Seoul who took inspiration from, among other things, the Ferrari 456.
- The game doesn't rely on styling your car to gain kudos and cash, although you'll do better in some races if you stick to a saloon car and splash out on what's under the bonnet.
- The car was styled by the new design team.
- This allows users to have text follow an irregular object and can be used for styling text or, for example, naming roads in a diagram.
- The automaker, which designed and styled the vehicle in-house at its Gentro Stile facility, decided to meet that goal by developing two completely different cars.
- His trainer says he will soon be ready to design the clothing and style the clients.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.