In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- What was different about punk was the explosion of subcultures it created.
- Over the years, Rivers has no doubt aided hundreds of black youth by helping to divert them from the gang subculture.
- The most striking general feature to be found is the extent to which what we would now call science is a subculture within philosophy.
- The argument was that these subcultures, particularly through their style, challenged the cultural codes and values of the ruling class.
- Make-up can thus serve to indicate membership in social subcultures, such as Goth or rave culture, or to advertise a person's identity as fashionable or hip.
- Though much has been theorized to the contrary, such subcultures are not de facto resistant to a dominant ideology.
- I would say dealing with people is not within the police subculture culturally glamorous; it is not something that you strive to do.
- Use of such sweeping categorization pays little regard to the existence of subcultures within the black community at large.
- The graduation of nicknames within armies is a subculture in itself.
- It's interesting how many musical subcultures survive, seemingly despite the efforts of major companies.
- She escaped but joined a punk-rock subculture involved with drugs, and married an addict.
- Like tattoos, body piercings and heroin, it seems to be spreading from criminal subcultures to the mainstream.
- Each of these communities of interest or subcultures has its own distinct perspective.
- The penchant for sports wear among middle-class youth resided on an almost voyeuristic fascination with American hip-hop subcultures.
- Parents and children within the cultures and subcultures we have studied respond similarly to one another.
- This stable diversity suggests that consistent subcultures flourish within our society.
- A new phenomenon a youth subculture had reared its head, but the Comet seemed satisfied that the borough was not in imminent danger of being overrun.
- The large number of cable and satellite channels and their trends are causing a fracturing of pop culture into more subcultures.
- There were so many other film and cartoon subcultures during my primary school days that I suppose I got swamped.
- Cultures and subcultures constrain us because we internalize their beliefs and values.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.