In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(refer for consideration)(report/application/claim) presentarall films had to be submitted to the censor — todas las películas tenían que pasar por el censor
- to submit a dispute to arbitration — someter un litigio a arbitraje
- The rural village of Hebrandston is in the centre of a planning application tussle after proposals were submitted to transform a disused outbuilding into a small dental surgery.
- He said the six companies are now in the process of submitting their terms of references, including the time frame of the study and the draft proposal.
- Let us know your views on this subject by submitting your comments below.
- Following the consultation period, the Bill will be amended, if necessary, and then submitted to Parliament.
- In the representation submitted on his behalf, he denies that the knife was his.
- When the data is processed and submitted to the Central Depository, the missing securities will be traded on the exchange.
- Focusing on the West Midlands, entrants were asked to submit a 200 word treatment, with an optional script sample, for a three minute short movie.
- In the end the manuscript was never submitted for publication.
- We didn't actually have to go out and build some new defenses, but make a presentation, submitting our proposals to the rest of the group complete with economical and environmental costs/benefits.
- The new discovery is the subject of a paper submitted to the Astrophysical Journal.
- Their study was submitted yesterday to the journal Physical Review Letters.
- The report was submitted recently to the government.
- Not counting preparation time, the process of submitting the information and making changes took a month and a half.
- Developers have submitted an outline proposal to Wigan Council to build eight homes.
- A manuscript of their work has been submitted to a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
- Supervisors regularly have to go through the same process themselves when they submit an article to a peer-refereed journal or apply for a research grant or give a conference paper.
- However, statistical findings are often presented in manuscripts submitted for publication in misleading or erroneous ways.
- The parties are still in the process of submitting their post-trial motions and briefs.
- Further public consultations and exhibitions will be held before the final plans are submitted for approval in September.
- The club need to know their plans will obtain a safety licence from the body before submitting their planning application.
- Mr Brindle submitted that mere assertion by an expert of the existence of particular standards is not enough.
- It is in that context that we submit that it cannot be shown, in effect, whose hair this was.
- Indeed, I would suggest and submit that it has the overwhelming force of logic attaching to it.
- In this context, I am submitting that he erred in saying that there would not be any unfairness.
- So it is really in that context that we submit that the Full Court has talked about the effect of indefeasibility of title.
2(subject)to submit sth/sb to sth — someter algo/a algn a algo
- to submit oneself to sth/sb — someterse a algo/algn
1rendirsedo you submit? — ¿te rindes?
- to submit to sth/sb
- he finally submitted to their demands/threats — finalmente accedió a lo que pedían/cedió ante sus amenazas
- they were forced to submit to military discipline — los obligaron a someterse a la disciplina militar
- I have my doubts but I submit to your better judgment — yo tengo mis dudas, pero como a usted le parezca
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.