In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(to magazine) suscripción feminine(for theatrical events) abono masculine(television/concert) (before noun) de abonadosto take out a subscription (to sth) — suscribirse/abonarse a algo
- the money was raised by public subscription — el dinero se reunió a base de donativos del público
- subscription rate — tarifa de suscriptores
- Or does mere public belabouring sometimes debase the very virtues intended for promotion and inoculate public sentiment against subscription?
- Web content multicast by the primary caches is received, filtered for subscription and subsequently pushed into the secondary caches.
- Of course, we are dealing with two separate issues: the first is subscription versus donation, and the second is the search for means of smooth, continuous, easy payment rather than payment in chunks.
- The bank will also extend loans to SHCIL account holders for subscription to initial public offerings.
- The Theatre Royal opened in 1792, after construction costs were raised by subscription, including a donation by Robert Burns, who also wrote prologues for productions.
2British(membership fees)cuota feminineto pay one's subscription — pagar la cuota
- before noun subscription fee — cuota de suscripción
- The annual golf subscriptions are now due, the members are reminded.
- Instead people preferred to pay for content via monthly or annual subscriptions, with a spend of around $10 monthly or $48 per year being the norm.
- That service relies on insurance company payments and subscriptions.
- The centre is financed by a grant from the South Eastern Health Board, by the local Lions Club, by local fund-raising and by annual nominal subscriptions from members.
- When you get the two options for payment subscriptions, you have to pick one of those and then pick ‘Use game card’ out of the checkboxes.
- Annual subscriptions are just £2 and there is an illustrated talk at 7.30 pm in the Soroptimists Room on the first Wednesday of each month from October to May.
- In paying our annual subscriptions we have the land, we have the planning permission, we have money, so build us a club.
- New membership/programme cards are available at the meeting on payment of subscriptions.
- As the months rolled on, more and more aspiring riders turned up, so to control numbers the Whalley Amateur Dirt-Track Club was formed and members had to pay both annual subscriptions and to ride the track.
- All societies, clubs, associations and organisations relying on annual subscriptions find renewal times somewhat fraught.
- Each person pays an annual subscription and then a percentage premium on the value of the investment but with no levy on returns.
- Irish obstetricians left the MDU in March 2001 because their annual subscriptions rocketed from €86,360 to €500,000.
- Parents of youths using the club are asked to note this and send in annual subscriptions without delay.
- According to the official figures, more than one in 10 of the adult population plays this pesky game at least once a month, while 250,000 are so enthralled that they pay annual subscriptions to a golf club.
- Members of the Ballyhaunis Christmas Lights committee will be collecting annual subscriptions over the coming weeks.
- The Celtic Supporters Club has issued a final reminder to members that their annual subscriptions are due now.
- The annual multi channel subscriptions is now due and will be collected from all householders receiving the service over the next few weeks.
- There is never a good time to pay bills and annual subscriptions, but some times are worse than others.
- Members are reminded that annual subscriptions must be paid at this stage and only the scores of those whose annual subscription is paid up will count.
- Lancashire County Council will now ask for a refund of its annual subscriptions of about £27,000.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.