In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The man was subsequently lynched and thereafter Hammett believed he was living in a corrupt society.
- At the time she was single, but shortly afterwards, she met the man whom she subsequently married.
- Gibson, after whom that desert was subsequently named, was never heard of again.
- She then left her and took a taxi but was arrested when it was subsequently stopped by police.
- He was landed off the coast of Clare by a German submarine and was subsequently arrested.
- Wilson was subsequently arrested because his fingerprints were found on one of the windows.
- Another allegation subsequently surfaced from the parent of a former pupil.
- I subsequently found out everyone else stopped watching it at about the same time.
- Again, the area of concern was subsequently notable for its total absence from my slumbering mind.
- Marina subsequently posed for a fetish magazine but was eventually reunited with her parents.
- I got there too late to stop that and subsequently got back too late for this.
- Herbert was arrested on the same day and subsequently charged with her murder.
- He was subsequently arrested by a heroic Garda and some members of the local community.
- Why he was not arrested when he subsequently visited the USA he cannot explain.
- A man in his twenties was subsequently arrested and the other was released on bail due to medical reasons.
- The man was taken by ambulance to York District Hospital, but was subsequently discharged.
- The Rat Pack also recommended him to their management company which subsequently signed him up.
- He has subsequently become a master of artspeak and a sometimes socialist.
- Much of the couple's efforts subsequently went on enabling their own family to emigrate to the West.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.