In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Removal of water from compressible materials such as silt and clay can lead to compaction of the confining unit and subsidence of the land surface.
- As the basin filled, or the rate of subsidence relative to the influx of material lessened, subaerial fluvial deposits were emplaced.
- It could be argued that high subsidence rates of the rift basin there meant that a regressive signal was not recorded.
- Melt injection leads initially to isostatic uplift followed by subsidence as the melt freezes.
- In particular, we relate apparent Neogene subsidence to modification of the Shelf's basement architecture.
- In fact, tectonic subsidence was calculated to be slightly higher in the Early Tertiary High than in the Voorne Trough.
- Quaternary sedimentary fill testifies to recent subsidence of the basin.
- Excess accommodation could be created by rapid tectonic subsidence in the centre of a tilt-block basin.
- Cover for accidental damage to contents and also for flooding or subsidence are other areas that should be clarified before taking out a policy.
- In addition, a drastic decrease in subsidence rates before the onset of the Late Eocene Pyrenean inversion was determined.
- In this work, the logarithmic theory is used to calculate the amount of land subsidence.
- The early Cretaceous is characterized by relative quiescence and thermal subsidence following late Jurassic rifting.
- The forward model predicts approximately 4 km of tectonic subsidence at this point.
- This is because magmatic material thickens the crust, creating uplift rather than subsidence.
- Tertiary sediments cause subsidence of the basin substrata 2.3 km below sea level, as a result of the sediment load.
- The history during this time is characterized by uplift at the most proximal location and an increase in subsidence at the most distal location.
- This would result in the underestimation of the tectonic subsidence that occurred during the deposition of the shales.
- We attribute this low rate to the continued post-rift thermal subsidence of the Indian margin.
- Thermal subsidence began to affect the onshore Central Plains area of Thailand.
- Also, at least on the Atlantic coast, you have both sea level rise and land subsidence going on at the same time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.