In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The radian is a unit which connects the radius of an arc, the length of the arc and the angle subtended by the arc.
- In other words, when two plates subtended the same angle - one big and far away, the other small and nearby - the antennae also made the same angle with each other.
- Reticles are in the second focal plane, so as power is changed the angle subtended by the space between lines varies.
- The space between the dot and the first letter of the prime to the right of fixation subtended a visual angle of 21.
- The most common geometry for curved crystal diffraction is based on the Rowland circle principle, which relies on the well-known property of a circle that an arc segment subtends a constant angle for any point on the circle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.