In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This three-dimensional complex of surface closed depressions, subterranean conduits, caves, and springs is known as karst terrain.
- Swimming in the clear, fresh, subterranean water was sublime.
- The stuffiness was a result of subterranean humidity.
- After driving in, breaking all previously known records, I parked in this grim subterranean car park, at astronomical hourly rates.
- Pity about the subterranean exhibition space.
- Firstly, if you happen to run an extensive subterranean mass transit system, you should familiarise yourself with the topology of the network.
- At one end of the square stands the town's main mosque, at the other the Church of the Nativity, in which a subterranean grotto marks the place of Christ's birth.
- These drainages envelop the ephemeral wet surfaces and subterranean systems that rarely hold a diverse molluscan fauna.
- A large mechanical platform is lowered into the subterranean depths of Purgato.
- Venturing deep below the ice, the explorers soon realise to their horror that the subterranean structure is in fact a sacrificial chamber, home to the dreaded aliens.
- Even after all that, there is still a vast reservoir of subterranean water inside the earth.
- Scrooges who detest Christmas are being offered the chance to avoid this year's festive season - by hiding in a subterranean nuclear bunker.
- In addition to the Paveletsky project, Moscow's shoppers will have a handful of other subterranean malls to choose from over the coming years.
- Still, somewhere beneath your feet is a subterranean passage that obligingly ran from this all male seminary to the next door convent of Nazarene nuns.
- Here the source for the volcanoes, an extensive wall of subterranean mud provides a near surface source.
- It is both a museum and a memorial to the thousands who experienced torture under two different totalitarian regimes in the subterranean cells.
- Players get to run around the building's maze of corridors, explore its subterranean passageways and take to its roof with a sniper rifle.
- I've fallen into a dingy subterranean bar called KGB, lured by the initials and the sign outside depicting a froth-capped beer glass.
- Pumping out the water is not a long-term solution, and the project's ultimate aim is to channel the subterranean water away once and for all.
- German homeowners and gardeners who attempt to destroy an ant hill or subterranean nest will be subject to hefty fines if caught.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.