In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many of these exiles launched a relentless crusade of anti-Catholic propaganda and subversive literature against Mary, which the government was obliged to suppress or refute as best it could.
- The family has become a subversive institution - almost an underground conspiracy - at war with the state and the state-sponsored culture.
- Meanwhile the Directors sought to encourage less subversive cults.
- Simply put, dominant institutions deploy orthodox strategies and subversive institutions rely on heterodox ones.
- But secondly, the movie is very dialectic and remains very subversive, inasmuch as it has sympathy for rebellious characters.
- Thus we have the makings of a quite subversive literary tradition that seeks to undermine the tightly controlled world of the urban elites.
- Two years later, however, the king disbanded the Assembly, accusing some of its members of subversive activities.
- However, other members have continued subversive activities.
- But, faced with a deep division in society, the generals regard any influence exerted by alternative tendencies as being subversive and dangerous.
- Morality has been used as a smoke screen for political suppression, since the original target of any state censorship was not sex but politically subversive material/literature.
- The charges raised against them were political conspiracy with the aim of disrupting the work of the government, as well as subversive propaganda and violent disruption of the state economic order.
- He has even banned subversive activities such as opera, ballet and the circus.
- In fact, people might be catching on to the scams more frequently these days, which is causing scammers to seek newer and more subversive methods of fooling their prey.
- Over 60 of its members, including its leader, were arrested and accused of espionage, subversive activities and other crimes.
- To a large extent, the job of a university is to be subversive and provocative, while the job of capitalism is to harness human greed in order to build businesses that employ people and create wealth.
- Soon after his release, he was convicted again for subversive activities but managed to escape to Malaysia.
- There is an incipiently anarchistic and subversive element to his work.
- Even though there are some who may feel sympathetic with the philosophy scholar, it is generally agreed that the scope of his subversive activities against his mother country are too grave to be exonerated.
- I wish I could say that I was involved in subversive terrorist activity while trying to smash a corrupt and evil government.
- Then came the fun of the '50s with comic books being called subversive Communist propaganda.
1elemento subversivo masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.