In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(undermine)(system/government) socavar las bases de(authority) minar(role) trastocar
- Reactionary attempts to abolish or subvert parliamentary democracy must be resisted.
- At the same time, big business is seen as subverting the democratic process through its financial support of favored candidates.
- The attempts to subvert the constitution and establish an autocratic form of rule have been on the agenda for quite some time.
- Attempts to subvert the system while apparently remaining within it will likely be a lot more common.
- Are we to save our democratic systems by subverting them?
- We hate an electoral system that is driven by money and that subverts real democracy.
- Furthermore, the same group seem close to, if not the same as, those who have subverted democracy in the federal Liberal Party.
- Someone who subverts the system of nature, by constantly using the supernatural world, is going against the will of God.
- I think he will continue to find ways to subvert democracy in his own country.
- The institution is successfully subverted from its institutional purpose and is converted into a private enterprise.
- Sequestering this great power in an unaccountable governing agency subverts democracy itself by treating citizens as children.
- By showing how easy it is to subvert the system the fear goes away.
- She clearly sees this as an attempt by the Republicans to steal her vote and subvert the system.
- They would have to subvert the system to keep her over here, but it could be done.
- Even exercising our vote may turn out to be no more than palliative in a democracy continually subverted by the power of money.
- Does not the abrogation amount to subverting the justice system?
- Please reject this underhanded attempt to subvert democracy in Illinois.
- The parable, like the stories of the heroic women who disobeyed, in effect subverts the patriarchal system.
- Terrorism is hard to defend against because it subverts our institutions and turns our own freedoms and capabilities against us.
- This is the truth missing from mythology, the truth that subverts the violent system of this world.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.