In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1subsiguientein the succeeding weeks — en las semanas subsiguientes
- succeeding generations will prove us to be right — las generaciones futuras / venideras demostrarán que teníamos razón
- each succeeding year was worse — cada año que pasaba las cosas iban peor
- in the succeeding confusion — en la confusión que siguió
- I have all the respect in the world for each succeeding generation of bodybuilders.
- For the succeeding several Sundays, the Inquirer printed dozens of responses, supporting or refuting Mary's claim.
- But succeeding generations of people like me will find marriage irrelevant, and pointless, and will go their own way.
- As Paul Russell explains, the legacy of this craftsmanship was to prove useful to both the Normans and succeeding generations.
- In the succeeding 400 years, there have been attempts to resuscitate the Venezuelan pearl industry, but most such endeavors have proved unsuccessful.
- The divisions were less ethnic than regional and political in character, but grew more rather than less intense with succeeding stages of conflict.
- The results would have profound implications for succeeding generations of Canadian Baptists.
- For the three succeeding years, until the spring of 1879, the town grew steadily but slowly.
- There is every evidence that these numbers will increase substantially in the 2004 field season and will probably double again in succeeding years.
- Once this gene alteration has taken place, the changed (mutant) gene can then be passed on to succeeding generations.
- The increase in output in the succeeding decade was nevertheless real enough.
- Cashflow forecasts, which normally cover 12 month periods, should be prepared for the succeeding two to three years.
- In the succeeding examples, I will simply state the relevant conclusions and refer to supporting evidence published elsewhere.
- That is the theme of the succeeding three or four pages.
- I remember reading Deighton's novels when they first appeared, but it seems to me the enjoyment diminished with each succeeding book.
- The succeeding articles in this series will provide a fairly comprehensive list of what has been on.
- The nest is used in succeeding years by many other species, e.g., owls.
- The report is highly critical of succeeding governments because to date nothing has happened.
- The succeeding section deals with the crucial issue of capital controls.
- Just do your succeeding few workouts as you usually do them to let your muscles fully recover.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.