In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(act of following)sucesión femininefor 6 years in succession — durante seis años consecutivos / seguidos
- it's happened ten times in succession — ha pasado diez veces seguidas
1.2(series)sucesión feminineserie femininea succession of visitors/images — una sucesión de visitantes/imágenes
- a succession of defeats — una serie de derrotas
- In my head, the faces of those I love appear, followed swiftly by a succession of pictures from my past.
- Yet, as the decade wore on and a succession of lacklustre releases followed to mixed reviews and declining, albeit still formidable, sales the proverbial chickens came home to roost.
- Following a succession of attacks, a large breakaway group moved clear on the first of three laps and opened up a decisive lead over the rest.
- It was followed by a succession of unstable coalition governments.
- There followed a succession of hospitalizations and, finally, confinement in a mental ward.
- Their front facades and interior detailing followed a succession of changing fashions related to those of freestanding houses.
- What followed was a succession of high-calibre performances.
- Despite lacking any formal military training, he led his army of devoted followers to a succession of victories in battles and sieges.
- But, a couple of months ago, it warned that its dividend policy was under review, following a succession of profit warnings.
- Following a succession of appeals, however, the sentences were lifted.
- How should the home secretary respond to the succession of nasty murders committed by offenders under supervision by the probation service in the community?
- A succession of hits followed and by year-end, she had become France's national sex symbol and was rated among the top French stars.
- There follows a succession of adventures, dangers, narrow escapes from death, and general blows of malign Fate.
- The seemingly endless waves of corporate fraud were quickly followed by a succession of massive business failures.
- There then followed a succession of failures by the claimants to comply with their obligations under the rules and under orders of the court, notwithstanding repeated reminders by the defendants.
- A succession of books followed, mostly easy readers that told tales of the Revolutionary War through colorful pictures and monosyllabic words.
- I was in the middle of one of my passionate rants when the doorknob rattled, followed by a succession of loud knocks.
- More important, by following a succession of customized movements programmed by a professional, her progress seems to be under firm control of science.
- The city has struggled following a succession of high-profile business closures and job losses.
- The game came alive in the 20th minute when Bury, following a succession of a five-metre scrums, were eventually awarded a penalty try, the conversion a formality.
2(to office, rank)sucesión femininethe law of succession — la ley de sucesión
- As a fruit of the Pombaline vision, Goa is today the only State in India to have a uniform civil code, which ensures women equal rights of succession, property and inheritance.
- I think he was confusing the constitutional succession in office with who was in charge.
- The Lib Dem policy would prove even more progressive than the mayor's plans, with partnerships that were binding in matters of inheritance, pensions and succession of tenancy.
- Under Salic law (which prohibits succession in the female line), Ernst would be the British king rather than just the Prince of Hanover.
- It is a chairman's role to manage succession and the Fairfax process has, frankly, been quite pathetic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.