1.1(emphasizing degree, extent)(+ noun) tal(+ adjective) tanI woke up with such a headache — me levanté con tal dolor de cabeza …
- it's such a bore! — ¡es tan aburrido!
- such a charming girl! — ¡qué chica más / tan encantadora!
- she gave me such a look! — ¡me miró de una manera … !
- I've got such a lot of work to do — tengo tanto (trabajo) que hacer
- I've never heard such nonsense — nunca he oído semejante / tamaña estupidez
- such impertinence! — ¡qué impertinencia!
1.2such … (that) — tal/tan … que
- it was done in such a way that nobody noticed — se hizo de tal manera que nadie lo notó
- do it in such a way that nobody notices — hazlo de (tal) manera que nadie lo note
- I was in such pain (that) I couldn't sleep — tenía tanto / tal dolor que no pude dormir
1.3such … as — tan … como
- such a patient teacher as you — un maestro tan paciente como tú
- he had never experienced such pain as he was feeling — nunca había sentido un dolor tan fuerte como el que sentía
2.1(of this, that kind)talsuch children are known as … — a dichos / a tales niños se los conoce como …
- such a journey would take weeks — un viaje así / como ese llevaría semanas
- no doubt some such solution will be found — sin duda se encontrará una solución semejante / de ese tipo
- there's no such person here — no hay nadie con ese nombre aquí
- there's no such thing as the perfect crime — el crimen perfecto no existe
- I said no such thing! — ¡yo no dije tal cosa!
- you'll do no such thing! — ¡de ninguna manera!
- would you have such a thing as a calculator on you? — ¿no tendrías por casualidad una calculadora?
- there's such a thing as a comb, you know — ¿sabes que existe una cosa que se llama peine?
- such jobs as mine — trabajos como el mío
2.2(unspecified)talthe letter tells you to go to such a house on such a date — la carta te dice que vayas a tal casa a tal hora
- until such time as we are notified — hasta (el momento en) que se nos notifique
3formal(the few, the little)such … as
- such women as he knew were all older — las pocas mujeres que conocía eran todas mayores
- such money as I earn I give to my parents — el poco dinero que gano se lo doy a mis padres
1.1(of the indicated kind)talsuch were her last words — tales fueron sus últimas palabras
- snakes, lizards and such — serpientes, lagartijas y cosas por el estilo
- such is life — así es la vida
- In fact she was only the fourth woman to receive such a degree in the whole of North America.
- My home is beautiful and I have lovely children who have been spared such suffering.
- They light up the night sky like a beautiful but harmless fire, if such a thing existed.
- As is often the case in such volumes, the quality of the articles is a bit uneven.
- The authors attempt to justify the diagnosis of allodynia in just such a patient.
- It was the absolute very least I could do to throw him a party on such an occasion.
- Any such cost will of course have to be met by the people and friends of All Saints!
- There are few executives with a wit or the patience to withstand such a showing.
- Why would such a patent democrat and friend of freedom engage such a course of action?
- It is the first time that an English cathedral has sent any of its personnel on such a course.
- As such, fans of such music will probably quickly fall in love with her crisp style.
- Another such occasion was when a woman with three dogs, decided to let one of them off the lead.
- On one such occasion he actually sat in the newsroom and typed out his stuff there and then.
- They could never progress to plane solutions since we know that such are impossible.
- Ann is not often completely disappointed in our ventures but this was one such occasion.
- At no previous stage this season have Celtic had such a lead in the championship race.
- It points out how the whole care team can help with such patients' medical and social needs.
- It did not feel right that such patients should actually be in with very elderly patients.
- Literary agents are queuing up to sign on young writers from such courses, she says.
- The guidelines say that such patients are at high risk of a full stroke within a month.
1.2such as — como
- incidents such as these — incidentes como estos
- many modern inventions, such as radar … — muchos inventos modernos, (tales) como el radar …
- I've read many of his books — such as? — he leído muchos de sus libros — ¿(como) por ejemplo?
- such … as
- such (people) as were dissatisfied — quienes estaban descontentos
3(of such a kind, extent, degree)such that — tal … que
- the pain was such that I screamed — fue tal el dolor / fue tan grande el dolor, que grité