In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(syrup/taste/drink) dulce(taste/drink/syrup) azucarado
- Now, with the latest news that one in 12 children will be obese by the age of six, some schools are considering taking out machines selling sweets, chocs and sugary drinks in favour of bottled water and fruit juice.
- She was also asked to reduce her intake of sugary foods and drinks and asked to include whole grains in her diet.
- This can cause symptoms of faintness, sweating and a pounding heart, and if not treated by eating or drinking something sugary, can lead to collapse and coma.
- Here's an idea: let the manufacturers pay to add it to all those sweets, sugary and fizzy drinks that are causing the problems in the first place.
- Eating sugary food and drinks frequently is the main cause of tooth decay.
- In addition, children from families who eat a lot of sugary foods and drink sweet liquids, who have a lot of cavities, and who do not go to the dentist very often are at risk for cavities.
- Unhealthy sugary food and drinks are a major problem.
- They could have stood up perfectly well by themselves, as a dessert in their own right, without some sugary over-cooked egg white as a prop.
- They have a granular or sugary texture and are color zoned, with an opaque pale blue core and a white rind.
- Pan-toasting the raisins gives them a unique crusty, sugary texture; if using dried currants, skip step 1.
- Unfortunately, they turned out to be quite unattractive, with the datolite being a dirty white to cream color and having a texture that is granular to sugary rather than porcelaneous.
- No more sweets, fried foods or sugary drinks, including Gatorade.
- There is deep frustration in staffrooms that school catering companies continue to stock vending machines with sugary drinks and sweets, despite the damage they can do to pupils' health and behaviour.
- The Food Standards Agency said adverts for fast food outlets and sugary drinks are fuelling childhood obesity and sowing the seeds for future ill-health.
- The experts tell us that fluoride will protect the teeth of young children whose parents over-indulge them with sugary drinks, sweets and snacks.
- School systems across the country, aiming to do their part to improve childhood nutrition and stem the tide of obesity, are turning in greater numbers against sugary soft drinks and other junk food.
- Avoid giving sugary fruit juices and drinks (such as Kool Aid or soda pop) to a child who is dehydrated.
- They suddenly appeared in antique shops in England in the 1970s; of a grainy, sugary texture, they probably come from Murano.
- Laziness is self destructive in the long term but enjoyable in the short term - it's nice to sit down and drink sugary glucose drinks and watch TV, even though I know I have things to do.
- When you drink a sugary soda by itself, your insulin levels surge.
- At the screening, you'll drink a sugary liquid and then take a blood test one hour later.
- For the last few years, during Keweenaw Week in August, the mine dump has been bulldozed for collectors, who have recovered a number of white to pink datolite nodules, many with a sugary texture.
- Compared to the average American diet, DASH is substantially lower in saturated fat, total fat and cholesterol, with fewer sweets, sugary drinks and red meat.
- Researchers have linked daily consumption of sugary soft drinks and fruit punches to significant weight gain and a higher risk of type 2 diabetes.
- A healthy diet is one that is low in saturated fat, salt and sugary snacks and drinks.
2(tones/smile) meloso(smile/tones) almibarado(movie/romance) sensiblero(movie/romance) empalagoso
- I think I'll spread it out over a couple of days this time, saving the real schmaltzy, sugary thanks to family and friends for Thursday.
- For example, the musical score is so sweet and heavy-handed at times that it can hardly be lacking in irony, calling to mind the sugary scores in many Italian and Hollywood melodramas and romances.
- The show was designed specifically to appeal to other African-American teens, and while it was amiable enough entertainment it suffered from a sugary cuteness and too much sentimentality.
- Perhaps in that moment I saw myself the way victims of my public gushing must when you read all this sugary sap about how happy we are.
- The whole thing's coated with a sugary Gen X slackerness that, for probably the first time in five years, doesn't seem silly or contrived.
- There his mechanical and appallingly ill-informed Bach playing was exceeded only by the sugary sentimentality of his own, nouveau impressionist music.
- The latter's sugary European sentimentalism wouldn't matter, but for his position as one of Ireland's three members on the Convention on the Future of Europe.
- Before you turn the page, wondering why I've chosen such a dreadful piece of sugary sentimentalism for this week's painting, give Greuze's grieving girl a second glance.
- The short Serenades are also quite pretty and Hanson makes the most out of their sugary sentimentality.
- But there has been a feeling among some that he may have allowed sugary sentiment to cloud his judgment about players' grumbles over their guidance.
- The film does wisely refrain from becoming sugary or mawkish, at least, and the strong array of supporting characters is another substantial point in its favor.
- Their idea of love had little in common, of course, with the sugary and restrictive sentiments of bourgeois society.
- Dark distorted vocals, faint conversation snippets, and sugary aural textures are fused with mild break beats on ‘Speechless.’
- You're very into the sensitive, sugary stuff that sentiments are made of.
- Best not to linger over the ballads on the follow-up to his Concord debut: Cincotti clearly has a weakness for sugary sentiment.
- He came up with a witty scenario worlds away from the sugary sentimentality of most productions of the classic ballet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.