In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(act, in Pacific War)suicidio masculine(pact/attempt) de suicidio(mission/bombing) suicidato commit suicide — suicidarse
- an attempted suicide — un intento de suicidio
- political suicide — suicidio político
- suicide pilot — kamikaze
- suicide rate — porcentaje de suicidios
- Most of the Jews inside decided they would rather die than surrender, and committed mass suicide.
- They said they have been ordered to carry out suicide bombings but decided instead they would give up.
- A woman whose husband committed suicide was one of those who contributed to a recent seminar on suicide held in Skreen.
- On another occasion during our two-year lease, a man who lived across the street committed suicide by jumping from what was a one-story building.
- Two alleged paedophiles, who lived opposite the proposed hostel in Fivefields Road, committed suicide on the day they were to supposed to stand trial at Winchester Crown Court.
- Your squad travels behind enemy lines disabling radio contacts, to better prepare the suicide mission of Operation Overlord.
- The attack was carried out by a suicide bomber who blew himself up in a parking lot close to a restaurant.
- The story goes that the first forced marriage was carried out in the 1970s, after seven sisters, unmarried because of their poverty, committed suicide together.
- In his usual style, he had set up entities to carry out the suicide bomb operations that allowed him to deny responsibility for them.
- Since then she has had a string of roles in Hindi cinema, the most notable being her portrayal of a suicide bomber in The Terrorist.
- In past weeks, bombers have carried out heavy suicide bombings but in single strikes.
- His determination to carry out a suicide bombing was against the wishes of his own family.
- The documents showed some entered the country in the days around the suicide hijackings.
- What they believed they were searching for was a suicide hijacker or team of hijackers.
- Over the past seven years, 92 people have committed suicide or died while attempting to avoid deportation.
- The doomed King Charles I's surveyor, Abraham van der Doort, for instance, committed suicide after misplacing one of 3,000 miniatures.
- Last month's murder of 31 Indians was blamed on three suicide attackers.
- A missile attack on a densely populated area is no more justifiable than a suicide bombing.
- It was not immediately clear whether the teenager was connected to any of the militant groups that have carried out suicide bombings.
- One member of the terrorist group was a suicide bomber who blew himself up next to a security fence, enabling the other gunmen to storm the religious site.
- Eight anarchist trade unionists were arrested: four were hanged, one committed suicide in prison and the remaining three were eventually pardoned.
- The troubled woman committed suicide seven years ago.
- The foundation said that this year several potato growers of Uttar Pradesh and other parts of the country committed suicide because of over-production and no buyers.
- He will be lower profile, but the suicide bombings are expected to continue because he is an extremist.
- Thus, Pape believes that suicide terrorism is essentially a strategy for national liberation from foreign military occupation.
- None of their family members had attempted or committed suicide in the preceding year.
- Quoting the SAS motto Who Dares Wins, he called on worshippers to ‘out-imagine’ those who carried out suicide bombings.
- In Wilson College, Mumbai, an assistant librarian committed suicide because the college authorities had allegedly harassed her.
- ‘The result of the investigation so far indicates that the bombings were carried out by suicide bombers,’ he said.
- A man dresses as a suicide bomber and carries a fake bomb.
- If they committed suicide we must know why they committed suicide, and if they were murdered we must know why.
- Several villages around the cities have also been occupied as the army tries to prevent militants from carrying out suicide bombings.
- What should you do if someone your child knows, perhaps a friend or a classmate, has attempted or committed suicide?
- The depressive comic committed suicide in 1968, at the age of 44, but left behind a wealth of material that has continued to win fans with sketches such as The Blood Donor.
- Her father committed suicide, her mother attempted suicide and she is co-founder of the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention.
- They know that no military operation can stop the suicide bombers.
- The explosive charges carried by the suicide bombers were packed with ball bearings and pieces of metal to maximise death and injury.
- The autonomy granted by decriminalising suicide and attempted suicide in section 1 enables a would-be suicide to change her mind and seek help without fear of prosecution.
- We drove across a bridge that's become so popular with suicides that the city is now encasing it with expensive, hideous jumper-proof wiring.
- But in fact more than half have not been convicted of anything, and are placed here by social services because they are runaways, potentially violent, self-harmers or potential suicides.
- Jane Pennington died a suicide at the age of 48.
- It could just be about the world's losers, the failed would-be suicides and all our broken hearts.
- A would-be suicide was talked out of hanging himself from a public bridge - only to be promptly charged with assault.
- Other songs have ageing rockers dying unmourned and a would-be suicide weighing up the pro's and con's of life.
- After, on average, more than twenty-six years, ninety-four per cent of the would-be suicides were either still alive or had died of natural causes.
- Nor is it at all uncommon for suicides to work something from popular songs or books or films into their deaths.
- Over the years the Humber Bridge has built up an unenviable reputation for attracting would-be suicides.
- Many SIBs would previously have been recorded as would-be suicides.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.