In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1azufre masculine(powder/solution) de azufresulfur springs — fuentes de aguas sulfurosas
- sulfur yellow — amarillo verdoso
- Stainless steel is an alloy composed of various percentages of iron, nickel, sulfur, carbon, silicon, manganese, and chromium.
- Along with carbon, they include elements such as hydrogen, oxygen, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, sulphur or nitrogen.
- Coal is a solid organic material made up of large, complex molecules containing mostly carbon, plus small amounts of hydrogen, sulfur, nitrogen and oxygen.
- Boron, silicon, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulfur are among the most prevalent of the elements other than carbon that form covalent compounds.
- Chlorosis is a common symptom of deficiencies of other nutrients such as nitrogen, sulphur, and magnesium.
- Potassium, a macronutrient for plants, is present in plant dry matter next to carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen and before sulphur and phosphorus.
- Potassium also reacts readily with all acids and with many nonmetals, such as sulfur, fluorine, chlorine, phosphorus, and nitrogen.
- Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur and boron have been found to be important in Zambia.
- These include iron, calcium, sulfur, manganese, molybdenum, zinc, boron, and copper.
- Because iron has an affinity electronegative atoms such as oxygen, nitrogen and sulfur, these atoms are found at the heart of the iron-binding centers of macromolecules.
- Oxygen is a particularly strong embrittling agent for molybdenum and tungsten; nitrogen and sulfur are particularly harmful in wrought chromium.
- In the burning process most carbon, nitrogen and sulphur are lost in gaseous form, whereas phosphorus, potassium and calcium are retained in the ash.
- Aluminum was named for one of its most important compounds, alum, a compound of potassium, aluminum, sulfur and oxygen.
- It combines easily with many non-metals, including nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus, and the halogens.
- The first is the ‘bulk’ elements, which include calcium, phosphorus, sulfur, potassium, chlorine, sodium, and magnesium.
- Life in the Universe - as we know it - began with the synthesis of some key elements: hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, sulphur, and phosphorus.
- Calcium, sulphur, magnesium, aluminium, iron, copper, zinc and manganese were measured by atomic absorption spectrophotometry.
- Other elements added to improve characteristics include nickel, molybdenum, copper, titanium, aluminum, silicon, niobium, nitrogen, sulfur, and selenium.
- Most of your mass is carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, sulfur, plus some nitrogen and phosphorous.
- Acid rain results when sulfur and nitrogen compounds - products of fossil fuel combustion - rise into the atmosphere and combine with water.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.