In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(calculation)feminine cuentafeminine sumafeminine adición formalI'll have to do my sums — tengo que hacer cuentas / cálculos
- she's very good at sums — es muy buena en aritmética
- Finally work out the left most sum in the same way and again place the resulting addition one place to the left under the 486.
- If all three red edges get used, then the total cycle length is the sum of three even numbers, plus 3.
- Are there any bases where the Fibonacci numbers with a sum of their base B digits equal to their index numbers form an infinite series?
- He also worked on number theory proving in 1770 that every positive integer is the sum of four squares.
- It dealt with the sum of integrals of a given algebraic function.
- In contrast, the sum of the reciprocals of all primes diverges.
- Unfortunately A level maths means that those kinds of normal sums are beyond me.
- In fact the Egyptians only had fractions of this type and if the answer had not involved a unit fraction then the Egyptians would have written the fractional part as the sum of unit fractions.
- Let's look at the sums: what level of compensation do the labels, studios and artists need to make it worthwhile?
- By programming it yourself for about half an hour you could actually get it to multiply two single figure sums together!
- His philosophy of arithmetic captures little more than simple sums and differences, what is learned in elementary school.
- His first job, when he was 18, was in an insurance company, meticulously recording sums and figures.
- Using these he was able to prove a weak form of the Goldbach's conjecture showing that every number is the sum of 20 primes.
- They can go on to our website, do their sums, and they're ready to go.
- Have you ever wondered why your children seem to do their sums upside-down nowadays?
- This came out of an investigation he was carrying out into when a ternary quartic form could be represented as the sum of five fourth powers of linear forms.
- If you win by getting rid of all of your cards, you score a bonus of 25 in addition to the sum of the points in the other players' hands.
- The reason, as the Doves found out, is simple: the sums simply don't add up for care home owners.
- Before committing to a tax-designated property investment, do your sums carefully.
- Fermat had asked for a cube n such that the sum of the divisors of n is a square, and a square n such that the sum of the divisors of n is a cube.
- I need to do my sums carefully to ensure that I can afford a new property (and all the other connected costs) in the first place!
- In it Vinogradov proved that every sufficiently large odd integer can be expressed as the sum of three primes.
- She said: ‘I still have to do my sums and see if it is still a possibility for me.’
- Based on the evidence, it's reasonable to suppose that no whole number is the sum of more than nine cubes.
- Amicable numbers come in pairs in which each number is the sum of the proper divisors of the other.
- You saw crates of certain sizes, and then you would do your sums and then do your deductions from that.
- For some reason, they especially relate to sums and differences and multiples of 9.
- Unfortunately, bankers and investment analysts took it seriously - unable, it seems, to do simple sums.
- And the integration of numbers and simple sums adds to the overall experience of the book.
- Do your sums - it was what we found most surprising when we stopped owning a car a few years ago.
- Okay, so they can do their sums, but they still need to sharpen up on their cricket.
- Inflation has fallen close to eurozone levels while the Budget sums are also pretty solid.
- Dyscalculic children are born with an inability to do even the simplest sums.
- As about 905% of the radiolabel was found in the soluble fraction, data given in the graph are the sum of both fractions.
- Find a right triangle having the property that the hypotenuse equals the sum of one leg plus the altitude on the hypotenuse.
- A perfect number is defined to be one which is equal to the sum of its aliquot parts.
- A more careful analysis can be given to show that the sum of this series is 23.10345, to five decimal places.
- The thesis contains a different proof of the fact just shown by Lefschetz that for any closed manifold the sum of the indices of a generic vector field is a topological invariant, namely the Euler characteristic.
- An odd perfect number is defined to be an odd integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors.
- He stated that any even integer can be written as the sum of two primes and every odd integer is either a prime or the sum of three primes.
- Through your generosity the sum of €870 was raised.
- I consider in the absence of greater detail, and taking into account the applicant's status and ability to pay the costs, that the sum of £1500 is reasonable in the circumstances.
- The upshot was it failed to set aside sufficient sums to cover its pension guarantees, in the event that economic conditions moved dramatically against the company.
- In 1997 the government paid out hefty sums to war veterans, a move that was blamed for putting a strain on the country's economy.
- The conman asks the person contacted to contribute a small sum of money to speed up the release of the funds.
- I will order the appellant to pay costs in the sum of £4,500.
- Even higher risk are products such as derivatives where investors put up only a small margin of the overall investment amount but are liable for the total sum should the market move against them.
- Visiting anglers pay large sums to fish such prime salmon beats but without offering privacy, proprietors will see little return on their investments.
- That is because unlike in years past, buyers at this level can now borrow large sums in the form of mortgages.
- If it cannot prove that children from the most chaotic families arrive at the age of five ready to learn, future politicians will not be inclined to pay out large sums to keep it going.
- Most Japanese currently hold large sums of money in secure savings accounts that yield zero interest.
- So there will be an order for the payment of the claimant's costs in the sum of £12, 687.98.
- Of course it also paid substantial sums to shareholders in the form of dividends and also paid rich salaries to its top executives.
- By comparison, in the US, this sum amounts to 6 percent.
- It's not known how much all this has cost but the sum of $100 million has been bandied about.
- In the meantime, on 25 July 2003 the respondent filed a summons seeking an order for security for costs in the sum of $80,000.
- In addition to this sum, Alstom are to pay interest at 9% pa calculated in accordance with this decision.
- Is it right to spend vast sums of money funding expensive conferences?
- In any event Mr Graham, it is a reasonable figure and I am going to order that your client pay the costs in the sum of £3,748.
- In addition to this sum, the loan borrowings of Stoneworth are guaranteed by often-maligned Fitzwilton.
2.1(total, aggregate)suma femininetotal masculineit's more than the sum of its parts — es algo más que la suma de las partes
- that's the sum (total) of my knowledge — eso es todo lo que sé
2.2in sum — en suma
3(of money)suma (de dinero) femininecantidad (de dinero) feminineshe spends vast sums on clothes — gasta muchísimo (dinero) en ropa
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.