- Those offences considered least serious are summary offences, triable only in the magistrates' courts.
- The court deals with summary offences and some minor indictable offences such as shop lifting, property damage and even assault causing bodily harm.
- Continued concern about the availability of child pornography led to the creation in 1988 of an additional summary offence of possession of an indecent photograph.
- Thus, if the jury acquit the accused of the more serious indictable offence, they may still convict of the summary offence.
- The subsection then goes on to make the contravention of its provisions a summary offence.