In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(conductor lento y extremadamente precavido) dominguero masculine derogatory(conductor lento y extremadamente precavido) dominguera feminine derogatory
- So beware, the Sunday driver with the flat cap and pipe is a myth, the real Sunday driver is someone unaware of those around them and their driving skills!
- It seemed like a Sunday in the States, but there were no Sunday drivers.
- And then it dawned on me - the tube was full of the underground equivalent of Sunday drivers.
- Now many of you will say that he deserved it for being so impatient with the nice Sunday driver, I say tosh!
- That is, if there is traffic, they'll drive into the occasional Sunday driver.
- That strategy is going to nab a lot of innocent Sunday drivers.
- Traditional Sunday drivers are staging a comeback on Britain's coastal and country roads, a new report showed yesterday.
- Over the last few years, both in Ireland and the UK, the dodgy drivers are less and less the little flat-capped Sunday driver and more the ultra-idiotic White Van Man.
- What is it with these Sunday drivers on a Thursday morning?
- It is also a two-lane, which means that Sunday drivers can really slow things down.
- It was rather like fine-tuning a racing car - except that in my case I'm the equivalent of an octogenarian Sunday driver who's suddenly been thrust behind the wheel of Michael Schumacher's Ferrari.
- And it is a beautiful world that I saw as I crawled home on a Sunday evening, with a line of frustrated drivers behind me, thinking I was some old Sunday driver out for the weekly spin.
- ‘When you're driving in a rally you're dealing with professional drivers, but Tehran has its fair share of Sunday drivers, so you have to be more aware and concentrate more,’ she explains.
- When the time comes to press on, the Bora can - in diesel trim - be hustled past Sunday drivers and up motorway inclines at a respectable pace.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.