In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sol masculineluz del sol feminineplace out of direct sunlight — evitar la luz del sol directa
- A glorious shower of sunlight pours from the heavens onto a rickety old barn.
- In his command of sunlight infused with weather this underestimated painter comes close to the young Turner.
- They need good light, but not direct sunlight, which will result in scorched leaves.
- The shade's structure excludes direct sunlight but allows diffuse daylight to pass through.
- It is bizarre that a country that receives so much sunlight should be so slow to find ways of generating solar energy.
- In the fitful sleep that icy, twenty-four hour sunlight allows, I dreamt of hot forests and beach barbecues.
- Set to the strains of Mahler, this 1993 film takes place in a city whose streets are rarely penetrated by sunlight.
- Weeds reduce yields by competing with crops for water, nutrients, and sunlight.
- A large window allowed a shaft of sunlight in and into that shaft of light she stepped and stood.
- One wall of the building is made of sliding glass doors for optimum sunlight, allowing for an outdoor feel when the weather is good.
- The black and white photograph shows the floor of a parking garage in raking sunlight.
- The sunlight on the facade and the bright blue sky make it one of my favorites and one of my best pictures.
- Why vegetate in stale conditions, when you can drench in glorious sunlight?
- Photodegradation is the breakdown of pesticides by light, particularly sunlight.
- Then there is the magnificent light, varying from the bleachy sunlight of day to the sometimes exquisite dusk glow.
- But where the roof was broken, thin rays of sunlight stabbed through the dark like spotlights and gave a spectral light.
- Overhangs shade the south-facing windows from direct sunlight during the summer.
- Upstairs, the master bedroom is particularly large and gets plenty of sunlight through large picture windows.
- You feel like a king drinking your coffee up there in the early morning sunlight.
- Miraculously, the skies opened up on Saturday afternoon and golden rays of sunlight dried the stage by curtain time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.