In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She in turn can no longer stand what she calls ‘his supercilious smirk.’
- Darcy, though attracted to the next sister, the lively and spirited Elizabeth, greatly offends her by his supercilious behaviour at a ball.
- In addition, he simply disliked her supercilious nature.
- And getting a reporter to print it without immediately following it with something supercilious is an even more awe-inspiring talent.
- It's all beautifully acted, but I didn't care about Susan and John and their tremulous relationship, laden with supercilious, middlebrow significance.
- It was a different man this time, but he had the same supercilious expression,
- It is a fellow wine-lover who enthusiastically wants you to try something they have found, rather than a supercilious guardian of stuffy good taste.
- She's also married to a supercilious English barrister.
- It's awfully supercilious when it should be just silly.
- So of course Karen and the other girls have been acting normal and even maybe a bit more supercilious at school, spreading rumors about Rebecca.
- Yeah, I kinda get irritated with people that seem supercilious about not having a TV.
- The voice of the narrator is a somewhat supercilious one, observing and comparing the rites from the train window.
- He is dressed in a sleeveless sweater, striped shirt and tie, and gives the impression of being supercilious, humorless and disengaged.
- He unfolded the step-ladder, silently with a supercilious gesture of his hand declined my request to help him, and climbed right up to the roof.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.