In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(wound/burn) superficial(resemblance/differences) superficial
- His new collection, Oblivion, contains eight stories of uncompromising difficulty, with certain superficial similarities.
- Sensibly, I think, he acknowledges that comics and movies are two wildly different media, despite superficial resemblances.
- I was in two major car accidents, which left me with superficial scars that I will carry the rest of my life.
- Whilst these conclusions may have a superficial validity they say nothing of the dynamics and processes of change and the social content underlying the institutional restructuring explored by the authors.
- He did not make the mistake of judging Catalans not only by their difference from other Spaniards but by superficial resemblances to French ways and style.
- That said there does appear to be some superficial evidence that suggests the period from May to September is a dull period for shares.
- A spokesman confirmed he was detained overnight with superficial injuries.
- At a superficial level, I was different because I wore different clothes, cracked different jokes, interacted with students differently.
- This principle states that, despite the superficial power enjoyed by the capitalists and landowners, the true bosses under capitalism are the consumers.
- The weakness of many of these fads is that they have the superficial appearance that something profound is happening, yet the substance is not there.
- While this correlation between domestic dictatorship and foreign aggression has a superficial plausibility, it is simply not true on the factual, historical record.
- Despite superficial resemblances to their medieval predecessors, these Lutheran altarpieces share a number of striking new features.
- There are certain superficial resemblances, say, to the nineties films such as American Beauty, or the recent Ghost World.
- That is, they sound good on a superficial level, but a look at the fine print shows a different picture.
- The landscape rolls by with superficial uneventfulness until the eye begins to entertain itself by finding distinctive features.
- They were treated for smoke inhalation and superficial burns.
- On a purely superficial level, this album mirrors its predecessor so closely I ought to really give them identical grades.
- At a superficial level, an appreciation of 16% may seem like a pretty good return over eleven months.
- Correspondingly, each claimed that the other remained entangled in, and misled by, a superficial, merely apparent reality.
- A superficial comparison of Roth with Malamud reveals two versions of the problems of self-definition which is at the core of this literature.
- The superficial distinction, that architects necessarily have to deal with the urban context while sculptors can choose to avoid it, conceals much more complicated variations.
- While there is a superficial resemblance in shape, the Atech lacks some of the more elegant features of the Macintosh, such as the clamshell design, but adds some nifty features for system builders.
- Masson takes him to a nearby doctor who allays his fears that he only suffered superficial flesh wounds - he has nothing serious to worry about.
- It only affirms the hugely popular, superficial notion of a culture in crisis, of a culture lost in a constant loop of revivals.
- Most of the problems are superficial and have no real substance.
1.2(inspection) superficial(inspection) por encima(person) superficialhe's so superficial — es tan superficial
- However, the better you know Doucet's sources, the more you realize how superficial his version is.
- The script lacks any such subtleties and none of the cast is skillful enough to be able to suggest any depth beyond the script's superficial characterizations.
- Critics with a superficial understanding of the principle imagine that it would force all land into use and lead to overdevelopment.
- And the characters are so superficial that we hardly care which of these different fates may befall them.
- On the whole, the cast does a very nice job with their superficial characters and makes them charming, funny, and/or despicable as needed.
- Shreve gives a very superficial rendering of her characters.
- Perhaps the biggest disappointment is his extremely superficial treatment of the historical experience of the now developed countries.
- The mother, of course, is ditzy, frazzled and superficial because there can be no real happiness beyond the city limits.
- Paradoxically, this show is both mind-numbingly sombre and utterly superficial.
- In Maelstrom, the main characters are slick, superficial people who deepen emotionally because of the trauma.
- Surely the female species is not so superficial?
- So, he decided to inhabit a character who was very much like he was in real life: Brash, glib, superficial and immensely appreciative of beautiful women.
- Writing stand-up only heightens my sense that one joke, plus another joke, plus another all adds up to a superficial experience.
- It's too light to be a spoof, too superficial to get to the real meat of why rap culture inspires so many privileged peons.
- Maybe the relatively superficial thinking behind the French poster designs stems from a sense of helplessness and an inability to really grasp the whole of the monumental injustices occurring.
- It was written from kind of a superficial, Hollywood point of view, essentially filled, I think, with a lot of lies by omission.
- Bitty Schram is suitably superficial and irritating as Hallie.
- A 14-minute featurette entitled ‘A Talent for Life: Iris’ gives a fairly superficial look at the making of the film.
- Actually I think it makes the characters seem whiney and irritating and erm… superficial.
- It's all very superficial and doesn't really explore any issues it does raise.
- Anyone with even the most superficial aquaintence with the history of the French revolution will know what that means, in nine cases out of ten.
- The characters themselves are little more than superficial sketches that become increasingly indistinguishable as the movie proceeds.
- But only for people who have had sufficient experience of their own - and then only to appreciate other situations, not to pronounce on them with the most superficial of knowledge.
- Dialogue is sparse, so the humour is superficial, not character-driven, and shows up as glib one-liners.
- Mullings' portrayal of the duplicitous wife is forced and superficial.
- It was too superficial an examination of the subject, which ironically reminded me that there is quite a bit that I don't know about history in general.
- The rest is superficial, a blight of the modern obsession with looks and image.
- I actually found all of the characters tremendously superficial and predictable in a lot of ways.
- Before reading the book I only had a superficial knowledge of his life and career.
- The general impression was of a scrappy and superficial campaign, facing a coherent and single-minded Government.
- In short, the museum should strive to do something more than facilitate superficial understandings and mere idol worship.
- It is the vision of an Englishman, a sportsman and a visitor yet not that of a superficial tourist, and, irritating as it might be to the Scottish nationalist in the age of devolution, it still exerts a powerful appeal.
- What conversation exists is trapped in a level of superficial banality.
- Despite some superficial and unfounded criticism about the fact that the manual would be outdated, much of it still retains significant validity.
- A lot of the judgements that designers make about other designers are superficial.
- The insights are superficial too, but it is a light comedy after all.
- But this is pretty lame stuff - dated, superficial, unfocused and only intermittently engrossing.
- Like all single career women, Bridget is a slobbering alcoholic, a superficial ninny posing as a competent professional and intellectual.
- Nothing is that wrong with Sex and the City - well unless you look beyond the humour and realise how superficial the women are - although the latest series has been dreary.
- I can't imagine any lady in real life being so easily seduced by so superficial a character.
- She worries that people think she is superficial, and the deeper Anne cannot withstand that.
- The film suggests that it is better to understand and accept the condition as normal than to try to eradicate it with supposed miracle cures, or superficial lifestyle changes.
- That's why fearful people with weak, inconsistent or superficial values tend to lack influence or any genuine success.
- He gives a superficial and inadequate account of Kipling's curious, subtle, savage, contradictory passion for England, which was both his home and his place of exile.
2(measurements/area) de superficie
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.