In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(burn/wound) superficial(resemblance/differences) superficial
- That is, they sound good on a superficial level, but a look at the fine print shows a different picture.
- Whilst these conclusions may have a superficial validity they say nothing of the dynamics and processes of change and the social content underlying the institutional restructuring explored by the authors.
- Correspondingly, each claimed that the other remained entangled in, and misled by, a superficial, merely apparent reality.
- A superficial comparison of Roth with Malamud reveals two versions of the problems of self-definition which is at the core of this literature.
- This principle states that, despite the superficial power enjoyed by the capitalists and landowners, the true bosses under capitalism are the consumers.
- At a superficial level, I was different because I wore different clothes, cracked different jokes, interacted with students differently.
- That said there does appear to be some superficial evidence that suggests the period from May to September is a dull period for shares.
- It only affirms the hugely popular, superficial notion of a culture in crisis, of a culture lost in a constant loop of revivals.
- Masson takes him to a nearby doctor who allays his fears that he only suffered superficial flesh wounds - he has nothing serious to worry about.
- The superficial distinction, that architects necessarily have to deal with the urban context while sculptors can choose to avoid it, conceals much more complicated variations.
- Most of the problems are superficial and have no real substance.
- They were treated for smoke inhalation and superficial burns.
- The weakness of many of these fads is that they have the superficial appearance that something profound is happening, yet the substance is not there.
- At a superficial level, an appreciation of 16% may seem like a pretty good return over eleven months.
- Despite superficial resemblances to their medieval predecessors, these Lutheran altarpieces share a number of striking new features.
- The landscape rolls by with superficial uneventfulness until the eye begins to entertain itself by finding distinctive features.
- Sensibly, I think, he acknowledges that comics and movies are two wildly different media, despite superficial resemblances.
- I was in two major car accidents, which left me with superficial scars that I will carry the rest of my life.
- There are certain superficial resemblances, say, to the nineties films such as American Beauty, or the recent Ghost World.
- His new collection, Oblivion, contains eight stories of uncompromising difficulty, with certain superficial similarities.
- While this correlation between domestic dictatorship and foreign aggression has a superficial plausibility, it is simply not true on the factual, historical record.
- A spokesman confirmed he was detained overnight with superficial injuries.
- On a purely superficial level, this album mirrors its predecessor so closely I ought to really give them identical grades.
- While there is a superficial resemblance in shape, the Atech lacks some of the more elegant features of the Macintosh, such as the clamshell design, but adds some nifty features for system builders.
- He did not make the mistake of judging Catalans not only by their difference from other Spaniards but by superficial resemblances to French ways and style.
1.2(inspection) superficial(inspection) por encima(person) superficialhe's so superficial — es tan superficial
- Perhaps the biggest disappointment is his extremely superficial treatment of the historical experience of the now developed countries.
- Bitty Schram is suitably superficial and irritating as Hallie.
- That's why fearful people with weak, inconsistent or superficial values tend to lack influence or any genuine success.
- Nothing is that wrong with Sex and the City - well unless you look beyond the humour and realise how superficial the women are - although the latest series has been dreary.
- Paradoxically, this show is both mind-numbingly sombre and utterly superficial.
- I actually found all of the characters tremendously superficial and predictable in a lot of ways.
- The general impression was of a scrappy and superficial campaign, facing a coherent and single-minded Government.
- It was too superficial an examination of the subject, which ironically reminded me that there is quite a bit that I don't know about history in general.
- A lot of the judgements that designers make about other designers are superficial.
- But this is pretty lame stuff - dated, superficial, unfocused and only intermittently engrossing.
- The insights are superficial too, but it is a light comedy after all.
- Writing stand-up only heightens my sense that one joke, plus another joke, plus another all adds up to a superficial experience.
- But only for people who have had sufficient experience of their own - and then only to appreciate other situations, not to pronounce on them with the most superficial of knowledge.
- It's too light to be a spoof, too superficial to get to the real meat of why rap culture inspires so many privileged peons.
- And the characters are so superficial that we hardly care which of these different fates may befall them.
- Despite some superficial and unfounded criticism about the fact that the manual would be outdated, much of it still retains significant validity.
- It is the vision of an Englishman, a sportsman and a visitor yet not that of a superficial tourist, and, irritating as it might be to the Scottish nationalist in the age of devolution, it still exerts a powerful appeal.
- On the whole, the cast does a very nice job with their superficial characters and makes them charming, funny, and/or despicable as needed.
- It's all very superficial and doesn't really explore any issues it does raise.
- The characters themselves are little more than superficial sketches that become increasingly indistinguishable as the movie proceeds.
- Actually I think it makes the characters seem whiney and irritating and erm… superficial.
- Dialogue is sparse, so the humour is superficial, not character-driven, and shows up as glib one-liners.
- The script lacks any such subtleties and none of the cast is skillful enough to be able to suggest any depth beyond the script's superficial characterizations.
- Mullings' portrayal of the duplicitous wife is forced and superficial.
- In Maelstrom, the main characters are slick, superficial people who deepen emotionally because of the trauma.
- It was written from kind of a superficial, Hollywood point of view, essentially filled, I think, with a lot of lies by omission.
- I can't imagine any lady in real life being so easily seduced by so superficial a character.
- Shreve gives a very superficial rendering of her characters.
- Like all single career women, Bridget is a slobbering alcoholic, a superficial ninny posing as a competent professional and intellectual.
- In short, the museum should strive to do something more than facilitate superficial understandings and mere idol worship.
- The rest is superficial, a blight of the modern obsession with looks and image.
- Before reading the book I only had a superficial knowledge of his life and career.
- The film suggests that it is better to understand and accept the condition as normal than to try to eradicate it with supposed miracle cures, or superficial lifestyle changes.
- What conversation exists is trapped in a level of superficial banality.
- Surely the female species is not so superficial?
- So, he decided to inhabit a character who was very much like he was in real life: Brash, glib, superficial and immensely appreciative of beautiful women.
- Anyone with even the most superficial aquaintence with the history of the French revolution will know what that means, in nine cases out of ten.
- Maybe the relatively superficial thinking behind the French poster designs stems from a sense of helplessness and an inability to really grasp the whole of the monumental injustices occurring.
- She worries that people think she is superficial, and the deeper Anne cannot withstand that.
- He gives a superficial and inadequate account of Kipling's curious, subtle, savage, contradictory passion for England, which was both his home and his place of exile.
- Critics with a superficial understanding of the principle imagine that it would force all land into use and lead to overdevelopment.
- A 14-minute featurette entitled ‘A Talent for Life: Iris’ gives a fairly superficial look at the making of the film.
- However, the better you know Doucet's sources, the more you realize how superficial his version is.
- The mother, of course, is ditzy, frazzled and superficial because there can be no real happiness beyond the city limits.
2(area/measurements) de superficie
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.