In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(details/explanation) superfluoto say more would be superfluous — sería superfluo añadir nada más
- it is superfluous to say … — está de más decir …
- his presence was superfluous — su presencia era innecesaria / estaba de más
- Z was always thought to be a superfluous, unnecessary letter.
- Although he claims that ‘indirect assassination’ is not in his nature, this is exactly how he disposes of his superfluous first wife.
- And they aren't just superfluous instruments, they make the music what it is.
- Why do we have superfluous, but potentially deadly vestiges like the appendix or wisdom teeth?
- No space is wasted on hallways or superfluous storage; each room leads logically to the next.
- But every song is compelling: not a word wasted, not one bout of frenetic strumming superfluous.
- Other times, he prioritizes superfluous aspects of the narrative or the set design to take over and slow his storyline down to a virtual halt.
- The word ‘smart’ in the title is probably superfluous but maybe it's helped them sell a few extra copies.
- Even so, the game is a noteworthy hybrid of multiple genres that somehow solidly come together to create a superfluous and entertaining experience.
- He may have been wrong in some of his literary judgments and ignorant in some areas of literature but he was good at getting rid of what was superfluous or phoney in a piece of writing.
- Surely half the appeal is that absolutely everything in the film is completely superfluous - you could take out anything you wanted and it would still work just as well.
- It's tasteless and superfluous, but not clichéd.
- The use of weapons which cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering is similarly prohibited.
- All the stories are simply constructed, no superfluous words, no extra images to clutter the feeling.
- A couple of video segments are superfluous and dreadfully produced.
- The two dialogue sequences here are superfluous to say the least, as are the sound effects tagged at the end.
- That is not because the principle of museums selling off unwanted or superfluous objects from their collection is being questioned.
- Somehow, the art rests in a balance of perfect tension - every element a gimmick but no element superfluous.
- Unnecessary, superfluous comments waste time and try the patience of participants.
- Everything seems to fit together perfectly, and one doesn't catch any extra or superfluous notes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.