In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(better)to be superior ( to sth/sb) — ser superior ( a algo/algn)
- the sound is definitely superior — el sonido es decididamente superior / mejor
- our cars are superior in design to theirs — nuestros coches superan a los suyos en el diseño
- A lot of companies are interested in investing in Ireland - they have superior building systems and can provide a superior standard of service.
- Fully automating these tests is a luxury that can go a long way to getting a superior product to the consumer.
- Schenden credits a robust economy, as well as superior products rolling off the assembly line, for helping to boost revenues.
- Its mission is to provide superior technology and expertise to the growing market for XML applications and services.
- The co-op says the product line features premium nuts with superior color, texture and flavor.
- Long hang times help develop the rich flavors for superior wines.
- We believe we will do just fine because we offer superior choice, price, and quality of customer care.
- Krahling buys directly from a number of growers, each selected for the superior quality of his or her product.
- You can therefore only reasonably expect higher returns if you select a superior manager or pick a timely strategy.
- Ask for a box rim flushing system over a standard rim flush for superior performance in a close coupled unit.
- Often new technology increases the cost, but the superior performance justifies the expense.
- The bikes offer superior acceleration and handling at the slight expense of its straight line top speed.
- Prices are reasonable and the selection is superior.
- These consumers tend to buy luxury products for their superior functionality and quality.
1.2(above average)(writer/workmanship) de gran calidadthey sell only superior quality goods — solo venden productos de primera calidad
2(arrogant)(smile/tone) de superioridad(tone/smile) de suficienciashe said it in a superior way — lo dijo con tono de superioridad / de suficiencia
- he's so superior — se da unos aires de superioridad
- He is pompous and superior, particularly in his treatment of Holly.
- Come to think of it, not so long ago even Puccini was trashed by superior people, who considered his contemporaries decadent, shabby frauds beneath contempt.
- People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are.
- If you were a member, or aspiring member, of the latter group, you looked with superior amusement at the awkward wretches who were building a more curious identity with the help of drug culture.
- It has a superior, snotty tone that reminds one of the problems some candidates have had in wooing the average American voter.
- He is equal parts superior, insecure, vain, snobbish, and fearful.
3(higher in rank, status)his superior officer — su superior
- leave it to someone superior to you — déjaselo a alguno de tus superiores
- Liberal democracy reflects the normative orientation that people and their rights are superior to government, with governments existing to secure those rights.
- It is not true that the essays are superior to the novels, but they have a sustained perfection that the novels do not match.
- The elegant expressions of Parisian Cubism are the superior works of art if you value subtle composition and exquisite harmonies of tone.
- Most neoclassical works based on the discoveries at Herculaneum and Pompeii were imitations of an art thought to be formally and morally superior to that of the eighteenth century.
- Spirited Away made me cry, which Howl's doesn't do, and I think Spirited Away is the superior film overall, but Howl's is still a magnificent piece of work.
- They were certainly physically superior to me.
- Plus, the picture quality is superior to your typical broadcast picture.
- And sometimes, US drama is superior to the UK equivalent.
- The bank's position would be superior if it were entitled to combine the accounts.
- Without question, the DTS is the superior track here as it's fuller, richer, and more expansive.
- Despite the differences, the films are close enough in tone to force a comparison, and Spider is the superior film.
- The level of design across the board is superior to what we have here in the US.
- The nutritive value of timothy, however, was superior to other forages at the more mature stage.
- It's obviously quite possible that the artschool/art-appreciation approach is vastly superior to any and all alternatives.
- Determining which is the superior choice for residential applications depends on whom you ask.
- The writing is often superior to most one-hour dramas. the extremely snappy and witty dialogue can elevate even the most cliché sit-com moments into pomo gems.
- Then, of course, there are pollsters who maintain that their own consumer surveys are superior.
- It is vastly superior to the previous two films.
- The visual quality of Burton's Planet of the Apes was superior to the original… but the movie wasn't half as good.
- This one was helmed by Rich Rosenthal, who also directed the far superior sequel Halloween II.
- I've just seen the preview for the extended version of the movie, and so far it looks so superior to the cinematic release that it feels like a different movie.
4(in amount, number)given their superior numbers, we cannot win — dada su superioridad numérica, no podemos ganar
- In reality, union representation harms many workers, contrary to the assertions of the proponents of the superior bargaining power fallacy.
- It was just they were driven back by overwhelming superior forces.
- Colonial conquest was not only the result of the power of superior arms and military organisation, but sustained and strengthened as much by the cultural technologies of rule.
- After finding himself overwhelmed by superior enemy forces, Shin is shot down.
- In the crudest terms, the critical factor in the loyalist Protestant supremacy mindset was its superior physical force.
- No war lord is prone to acknowledge any limits other than those imposed on him by a superior armed force.
- Now the subjects can be brought to fear not only the ruler's superior force, but also his supernatural powers.
- You're always alone, fighting off vastly superior forces by the skin of your teeth and by, more than occasionally, stupid blind luck.
- Their superior bargaining power allowed insurers to negotiate sharp reductions in fees, which were passed on to employers in the form of lower premiums.
- Seeing an enemy combatant get blasted by superior firepower isn't as cool in real life as it is in a John Wayne flick.
- Remember that this is a carrier, not a fleet; so don't expect old tactics of overrunning the enemy position with superior numbers to work.
- One dominant factor is the fact that comparatively superior armed forces aren't enough when it comes to securing democracy, pluralism, and human rights.
- The defence of a ruined fort in the flyblown town of San Antone, against a superior force of trained Mexican troops, seemed reckless in the extreme.
- Yet DeGaulle and a small group of partisans went underground and refused to accept the superior power of the German army.
- The Russians held the city against superior forces, when food and ammunition had virtually given out.
5formal(above)to be superior to sth — estar por encima de algo
- The upper horns (or superior cornua) meet the back of the hyoid bone, while the inferior cornua are attached to the side of the cricoid, forming a pivotal joint.
1(in rank, position)superior masculineshe's my superior — (ella) es mi superior
2(in ability)she has few superiors — pocos la superan
- she is his superior as a poet — es mejor poeta que él
3Religionsuperior masculinesuperiora feminineFather Superior — Padre Superior masculine
- Mother Superior — Madre Superiora
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.