- Such institutions were thinly disguised agents of a superstate bent on subverting or displacing private enterprise, particularly in the generation of hydroelectric power.
- It is an important step in the creation of a federal superstate to which France and Germany, in particular, aspire.
- Germany was also forbidden to unite with Austria to form one superstate, in an attempt to keep her economic potential to a minimum.
- In reality the only political grouping which could have any effective and meaningful voice against a European superstate is the Commonwealth of Nations.
- I worry about apparent moves to develop a European superstate because I do not think this could prove effective or stable at current levels of development.
- The apologists of the central state (and of superstates such as the EU) claim that such a proliferation of independent political units would lead to economic disintegration and impoverishment.
- Fears that the euro project is part of some malign plot to foist an unaccountable European superstate upon EU members must be addressed.
- If the superstates described by Orwell are reminiscent of the Cold War blocs that inspired them, they have less obvious relevance to a world with a single military superpower like the US.
- Nobody who looks at this treaty can say it's some ramp for a federal superstate.
- There is also a growing feeling of being imprisoned by the past, by out-of-date federal plans for a centralised European superstate, which following the break-up of the Soviet Union is no longer either necessary or desirable.
- Many Danes have a deeply ingrained scepticism about the European Union, seen as the bureaucratic and inefficient blueprint for a European superstate.
- The Eurosceptic view of an all-powerful European superstate is a figment of the imagination.
- Those small states were worried that amalgamation into a superstate would sacrifice their interests to those of the large states.
- EU critics called the latest draft a blue print for tyranny that would lead to a European superstate.
- This became even more obvious after reunification, when they were in fact propagating a European superstate, in which a Franco-German core would dictate policies.
- At the same time the number of such superstates was much reduced, to two by most computations or, on a more rigorous calculation, to one alone.
- This also encouraged him as a leader of Arab unity, though he was always careful to emphasize the principle of a universal voice of independent Arab states, rather than an Arab superstate.