In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Such institutions were thinly disguised agents of a superstate bent on subverting or displacing private enterprise, particularly in the generation of hydroelectric power.
- It is an important step in the creation of a federal superstate to which France and Germany, in particular, aspire.
- Germany was also forbidden to unite with Austria to form one superstate, in an attempt to keep her economic potential to a minimum.
- In reality the only political grouping which could have any effective and meaningful voice against a European superstate is the Commonwealth of Nations.
- I worry about apparent moves to develop a European superstate because I do not think this could prove effective or stable at current levels of development.
- The apologists of the central state (and of superstates such as the EU) claim that such a proliferation of independent political units would lead to economic disintegration and impoverishment.
- Fears that the euro project is part of some malign plot to foist an unaccountable European superstate upon EU members must be addressed.
- If the superstates described by Orwell are reminiscent of the Cold War blocs that inspired them, they have less obvious relevance to a world with a single military superpower like the US.
- Nobody who looks at this treaty can say it's some ramp for a federal superstate.
- There is also a growing feeling of being imprisoned by the past, by out-of-date federal plans for a centralised European superstate, which following the break-up of the Soviet Union is no longer either necessary or desirable.
- Many Danes have a deeply ingrained scepticism about the European Union, seen as the bureaucratic and inefficient blueprint for a European superstate.
- The Eurosceptic view of an all-powerful European superstate is a figment of the imagination.
- Those small states were worried that amalgamation into a superstate would sacrifice their interests to those of the large states.
- EU critics called the latest draft a blue print for tyranny that would lead to a European superstate.
- This became even more obvious after reunification, when they were in fact propagating a European superstate, in which a Franco-German core would dictate policies.
- At the same time the number of such superstates was much reduced, to two by most computations or, on a more rigorous calculation, to one alone.
- This also encouraged him as a leader of Arab unity, though he was always careful to emphasize the principle of a universal voice of independent Arab states, rather than an Arab superstate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.