In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The women's defiant attitude was the greatest surprise to the authorities who expected tears, supplications and general weakness.
- He read out the text, directed the contract and made graceful supplications.
- Councils may be able to make their supplications to the State Government and Parliament but, in the end, they have to comply with the law.
- His gesture is somewhere between surrender and supplication.
- They used to offer their supplications before these deities in rhymed prose and sought revelation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.