In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The most hair-raising, perhaps, is a purge of supposed felons from the voter rolls that denied political rights to thousands of innocent citizens, most of whom were African-American.
- But as someone under the age of 30, who grew up in London, I find that the supposed golden age before mass immigration is somewhat alien.
- In particular, Richard Skinner is dubious about the President's supposed improvement among urban dwellers.
- Christians ignore the real source of the supposed power of homeopathy - an unmeasurable, undefined (no one says exactly what it is) mystical "energy."
- One of the Biblical stories that forms a central part of creationist beliefs is the supposed universal flood of Genesis.
- Mr Logan referred to our supposed selfish genes, a term he took from evolutionary biologist, Steven Dawkins.
- "The Passion of the Christ" also includes an invented scene in which Pilate laments his supposed dilemma.
- Peter just barely escapes the attack, while Peter's supposed friend Childress (Cassavetes), also a government agent, whisks Robin away.
- Some have retreated to the supposed safety of the Green Zone.
- He is simply too much of a freak, and his supposed childhood trauma too specialized and contrived, for us to take him seriously.
- But in the past year, multiple members of the same family have sued us for supposed discrimination.
- As a consequence both clerical and secular moralists felt able to criticize fashion on the grounds of the supposed morality or immorality of clothing and personal adornment.
- McClure worked as a pastor in Indianapolis's southeast neighborhoods from the early 1970s through the 1990s, and he also noticed a pattern to southerners' supposed transience.
- A further reason for not assessing the Lewisham Gateway site as being accessible is the supposed aim of the developer to provide for a higher provider use.
- The legitimation stage involves getting approval for the plan, and winning support from the community by demonstrating supposed benefits from the plan.
- "A lot of times, two supposed wrongs do make a right," says Leadbetter.
- I bet they'd be easier to find than the supposed alleged secret cache of biological and chemical weapons.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.