In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Several companies were showing details of systems that can be installed on civilian aircraft to confuse surface-to-air missiles.
- To fire a surface-to-air missile, it takes a little bit of expertise.
- The Soviet-made surface-to-air missiles were fired from fields eight miles away.
- The two men are suspected of trying to smuggle into this country shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles designed to shoot down aircraft.
- They stay above 5,000 feet, to avoid the threat of shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles and small arms fire.
- A Western diplomatic source said Nigeria already had a supply of Soviet surface-to-air missiles, but that they were in a poor state of repair.
- A US defence official said the land-based surface-to-air missile was fired from the Crimean region of Ukraine.
- Two naturalized U.S. citizens were indicted yesterday in a scheme to smuggle surface-to-air missiles into this country.
- They also fired both surface-to-air missiles and surface-to-surface missiles.
- Well, the vulnerability of commercial aircraft to surface-to-air missiles has been demonstrated.
- Most of his attacks on US and British aircraft, however, come from surface-to-air missile sites on the ground, rather than from his airforce.
- There are stepped-up air patrols, surface-to-air missiles at critical points, and tougher security checks for travelers.
- They still have some aircraft hidden and they still have some surface-to-air missiles of relatively short range that are there.
- When we then learned from the local news bulletins that defence systems such as surface-to-air missiles now encircle the city, many residents felt positively unsafe.
- The US armed them, taught them how to fire surface-to-air missiles and dressed their wounds.
- Witnesses said the helicopter appeared to have been hit by a surface-to-air missile and exploded on hitting the ground.
- The same day, a shoulder-launched, surface-to-air missile was fired at a US aircraft, but missed.
- On Saturday, insurgents hit a civilian cargo plane with a surface-to-air missile, but the aircraft landed safely.
- There was a potential threat from surface-to-air missiles and of attack while on the ground, which required a precise tactical operation.
- The Americans claimed they had destroyed surface-to-air missile batteries and levelled terrorist training facilities around the city.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.