In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I viewed breathtaking works in the style of Rembrandt, through impressionism and surrealism.
- On abstract expressionism, I think that its debt to surrealism was largely formal or technical.
- He had no formal training in art but, influenced by surrealism, he began making collages and boxed assemblages in the early 1930s.
- That is why he describes his transition from Dada to surrealism as a compromise.
- In the end, Malley is really unlike the sort of grandstanding, romantic surrealism he mocks.
- His work is considered a unique style combining impressionism, surrealism and abstract modern painting.
- Indeed, I have found a new respect for surrealism and the artists who are brave enough to tackle the style.
- Perhaps this is the nature of the genre: surrealism, by definition, requires a suspension of the real.
- The central portion of this book is dedicated to women's contributions to surrealism.
- This was surrealism in action long before it moved into the realms of art.
- His intention was to show surrealism as a movement capable of standing at the head of opposition to reaction.
- That is not to say his style is pedestrian, but it is easier to see the influence of classic examples of surrealism within it.
- He had given up surrealism on sadly realizing that you need fixed points, after all, both in life and in the arts.
- The old masters of surrealism aren't the only ones popular with today's art collectors, though.
- Both New Photography and surrealism were heavily influenced by European art.
- The need for the viewer to decipher the work was exactly what the artists who first forayed into the world of surrealism had in mind.
- Similarly, Kelley combats critics who reduce surrealism to an aesthetic movement.
- Abstract expressionism, collage, surrealism, impressionism and the use of other materials were expressly banned.
- There is an inherent pitfall in such movements as surrealism, Dadaism, and absurdism.
- The script does wobble - we lurch from naturalism to cinematic surrealism, with apparently little to justify it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.