In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of land)agrimensor masculineagrimensora femininetopógrafo masculinetopógrafa feminine
- Ken Ryan, a qualified quantity surveyor, spent 15 years as head of a construction company in Zimbabwe.
- Mr. Neil Cummings was a building surveyor with 23 years' experience as such.
- As with all property purchases employing a structural surveyor to visit the property is definitely within your best interests.
- Williams thinks surveyors are often responsible for today's map errors.
- In 1908, the cave company decided to employ some surveyors to try and find a new entrance.
- So far as I understand it, they are appointing an alternative surveyor.
- The mortgage company will instruct the surveyor to perform the survey.
- I do not have the expertise and for this reason I would like an independent surveyor to be appointed.
- A surveyor's report found that the smallpox isolation hospital at Winterburn was in a poor state.
- Members agreed to instruct the surveyor to make his report and would make a final decision based on that report.
- In 1842 a horse was bought in Australia and shipped over for the chief surveyor to use.
- The council has employed surveyors to investigate the site and carry out borehole tests before repair work begins.
- On Monday, council surveyors were inspecting the building to assess the damage, which is thought to be considerable.
- Since 1970 he has been in private practice as a building surveyor.
- Chartered building surveyors will examine a property (particularly older ones) for structural damage such as subsidence, dry and wet rot and leaking roofs.
- Usually, a purchaser should rely upon his own inspection and his surveyor's report.
- On the positive side, our buyers are sticking with the programme, and have appointed a new surveyor.
- An independent surveyor who examined the building last month reported that it would be unsafe to open the pool without some repairs to the roof and to other parts of the building.
- Darwen's top building surveyor enjoyed a pint to mark his retirement.
- The company is no longer in existence, and today a firm of chartered quantity surveyors occupies the premises.
2(of building)perito masculineperita feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.