In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(stop, set aside)(payment/work) suspender
- Eventually some of the remarks got a bit unpleasant and the ability to comment was temporarily suspended to allow everyone time to cool off.
- When exploration had to be suspended temporarily because of bad weather the ladders rotted and the cave had to be re-rigged.
- The market might be saturated, but it matters little for these ubiquitous hawkers, who can't even temporarily suspend or postpone their requirements of daily sustenance.
- There were reports Thursday morning that evacuations had been suspended at least temporarily over security concerns.
- Excursions to the glacier by horse-drawn carriage have been temporarily suspended and may not resume for the rest of the summer season.
- While we ultimately know this film is a mockumentary, these techniques allow us to temporarily suspend our disbelief.
- While immediate lay-offs have been temporarily suspended, the crisis continues with thousands of jobs among Rover's suppliers also under threat.
- Since the problem of compensation for the land is unresolved, work on them should be suspended temporarily.
- It's almost as if we experience an unease, a dislocation, because our freedom to move somewhere else is temporarily suspended.
- Refreshments were served and the Ballinrobe Branch has now suspended its weekly meeting until September.
- Recently Ryanair was forced to temporarily suspend services on its Strasbourg / London route.
- Following the Thursday explosion, reports were circulated that claimed the security raid has been suspended and forces were ordered to retreat.
- The teachers said they were temporarily suspending further action after the meeting because they expected their demand would be dealt with.
- Ticket sales at the Glasgow Film Theatre were temporarily suspended prior to a showing in late August.
- The officials said all training programs have been suspended pending a comprehensive investigation into the incident.
- I'm suspending this meeting until a later time when I can get everyone's complete attention and input.
- His version of events is plausible and it is easy to believe him but until more details emerge about the nature of the positive result absolute judgments must be suspended.
- The weekly walk has been temporarily suspended due to a combination of bad weather and vacations.
- Mainly, I feel I must suspend any judgement until next weekend, just because so much could change in the time remaining.
- His driver's licence was suspended for 28 days pending his appearance.
- Eventually, the stock exchange suspended trading in the stock.
- I pled guilty, paid a fine, and had my driver's license suspended for 30 days.
- The traders have been forced to temporarily suspend trading as they do not want any more clients to fall into this black hole.
- Cannier SME owners will suspend judgement until they see what real changes emerge in the kind of deals their banks are prepared to offer.
- Another bank had its operating license suspended for three months but was subsequently re-opened.
1.2(defer, hold over)(decision/judgment) posponer(judgment/decision) postergar Latin Americasee also suspended sentence
2(debar, ban)(member) suspender(student) expulsar temporariamente(student) suspender Latin Americahe was suspended from office — fue separado de su cargo
- He said four of the 12 officers have already been suspended for failing to stop looting.
- Now Bromley police have suspended him while they carry out an investigation.
- A senior council employee was subsequently suspended on full pay.
- She was suspended from teaching in Oct. 2004 and resigned her position just before Christmas.
- In any other job or industry someone would be suspended pending an investigation.
- He was immediately suspended from duty when the offences came to light and is now no longer with the service.
- The council suspended him from the post in December 2000.
- The Evening Echo has learned he was suspended from his role as governor immediately after he was arrested.
- He has now been suspended while the investigation continues.
- That was dealt with through disciplinary proceedings, and he was suspended for a length of time, and the outcome was that he was dismissed from the service.
- She was briefly suspended from her position and issued with a written warning for insubordination after she wrote to every member of the council pointing out that discussions were taking place.
- She is currently suspended from duty but she believes she has been unfairly scapegoated and is taking a High Court case to be re-instated.
- He was initially regarded as a good pilot, but his performance faded over his final two years in the Guard and he was suspended from flight status.
- On April 4 he was suspended from his job and two days later was arrested but released on bail after the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to charge him.
- Hall was suspended from his post the following day.
- Five members of staff have been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.
- Mitch, and possibly Harley, would be immediately suspended indefinitely.
- They are currently suspended from duty and facing criminal charges in relation to allegations made by various inmates.
- She was suspended from her post in charge of 20 community wardens last summer and her contract was not renewed when it expired in March this year.
- He was suspended from this post in July last year.
3(hang)suspenderit seemed to hang suspended in mid air — parecía estar suspendido en el aire
- In some bizarre animator's joke, they were literally suspended, all hung in the air in a big room.
- A single lantern was suspended from another chain attached presumably to a ceiling of sorts, though Oliver's falcon eyes could not penetrate the darkness.
- Each of the fleecy shell jackets is suspended from a hook, with the trousers tucked in beneath and bent at the knee so that the seat touches the hem.
- The floor slab perimeters are suspended via steel hanging rods located in alternate curtain walling mullions with no columns at ground floor level to compromise the huge entrance foyer.
- Neon tubular lights in the shapes of numerical digits are suspended from its upper edge.
- Bunches of dried flowers hang from walls and ceiling; an ancient bird cage is suspended from a beam and a wooden hat-stand reminds us of years gone by.
- The missiles are suspended from four underwing pylons.
- The building is suspended from the cliff by cables, so when the glacier goes down, the restaurant literally hangs.
- Behind the low stage a large dark blue gauze drape with subtle, pastel coloured swirls was suspended from the high ceiling.
- Several large, empty picture frames are suspended from the ceiling.
- Fluid black jersey dresses were suspended from leather laces and geometric metal frames.
- They're all suspended in mid-air and don't really have anything to say.
- Its other end was tied to the axle of the utility, and by its tautness the boy could see when Joe's full weight was suspended from it.
- Dozens of cages were suspended from special rods around the courtyard.
- At the head of the room, a large screen was suspended from the ceiling and onto it was projected what appeared to be the layout for their graduation.
- They are suspended from the ceiling and wobble slightly if you lean against them.
- A timber deck is suspended from the concrete slab roof.
- The key to the diary was suspended from a silver key chain.
- There is also a shower room, and a cosy den - breaking away from all the open space - in which the warehouse's original hoisting gear is suspended from the ceiling.
- The seats are suspended from wall and ceiling mounts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.