In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(stop, set aside)(payment/work) suspender
- His version of events is plausible and it is easy to believe him but until more details emerge about the nature of the positive result absolute judgments must be suspended.
- Eventually, the stock exchange suspended trading in the stock.
- There were reports Thursday morning that evacuations had been suspended at least temporarily over security concerns.
- Following the Thursday explosion, reports were circulated that claimed the security raid has been suspended and forces were ordered to retreat.
- The teachers said they were temporarily suspending further action after the meeting because they expected their demand would be dealt with.
- The officials said all training programs have been suspended pending a comprehensive investigation into the incident.
- The traders have been forced to temporarily suspend trading as they do not want any more clients to fall into this black hole.
- Another bank had its operating license suspended for three months but was subsequently re-opened.
- The weekly walk has been temporarily suspended due to a combination of bad weather and vacations.
- His driver's licence was suspended for 28 days pending his appearance.
- Recently Ryanair was forced to temporarily suspend services on its Strasbourg / London route.
- I'm suspending this meeting until a later time when I can get everyone's complete attention and input.
- The market might be saturated, but it matters little for these ubiquitous hawkers, who can't even temporarily suspend or postpone their requirements of daily sustenance.
- Mainly, I feel I must suspend any judgement until next weekend, just because so much could change in the time remaining.
- Since the problem of compensation for the land is unresolved, work on them should be suspended temporarily.
- Excursions to the glacier by horse-drawn carriage have been temporarily suspended and may not resume for the rest of the summer season.
- Refreshments were served and the Ballinrobe Branch has now suspended its weekly meeting until September.
- While immediate lay-offs have been temporarily suspended, the crisis continues with thousands of jobs among Rover's suppliers also under threat.
- It's almost as if we experience an unease, a dislocation, because our freedom to move somewhere else is temporarily suspended.
- While we ultimately know this film is a mockumentary, these techniques allow us to temporarily suspend our disbelief.
- When exploration had to be suspended temporarily because of bad weather the ladders rotted and the cave had to be re-rigged.
- I pled guilty, paid a fine, and had my driver's license suspended for 30 days.
- Ticket sales at the Glasgow Film Theatre were temporarily suspended prior to a showing in late August.
- Cannier SME owners will suspend judgement until they see what real changes emerge in the kind of deals their banks are prepared to offer.
- Eventually some of the remarks got a bit unpleasant and the ability to comment was temporarily suspended to allow everyone time to cool off.
1.2(defer, hold over)(decision/judgment) posponer(decision/judgment) postergar Latin Americasee also suspended sentence
2(debar, ban)(member) suspender(student) expulsar temporariamente(student) suspender Latin Americahe was suspended from office — fue separado de su cargo
- Mitch, and possibly Harley, would be immediately suspended indefinitely.
- She was suspended from her post in charge of 20 community wardens last summer and her contract was not renewed when it expired in March this year.
- He has now been suspended while the investigation continues.
- The council suspended him from the post in December 2000.
- That was dealt with through disciplinary proceedings, and he was suspended for a length of time, and the outcome was that he was dismissed from the service.
- He said four of the 12 officers have already been suspended for failing to stop looting.
- In any other job or industry someone would be suspended pending an investigation.
- He was initially regarded as a good pilot, but his performance faded over his final two years in the Guard and he was suspended from flight status.
- Hall was suspended from his post the following day.
- Now Bromley police have suspended him while they carry out an investigation.
- He was suspended from this post in July last year.
- A senior council employee was subsequently suspended on full pay.
- He was immediately suspended from duty when the offences came to light and is now no longer with the service.
- Five members of staff have been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.
- She was suspended from teaching in Oct. 2004 and resigned her position just before Christmas.
- She was briefly suspended from her position and issued with a written warning for insubordination after she wrote to every member of the council pointing out that discussions were taking place.
- They are currently suspended from duty and facing criminal charges in relation to allegations made by various inmates.
- The Evening Echo has learned he was suspended from his role as governor immediately after he was arrested.
- She is currently suspended from duty but she believes she has been unfairly scapegoated and is taking a High Court case to be re-instated.
- On April 4 he was suspended from his job and two days later was arrested but released on bail after the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to charge him.
3(hang)suspenderit seemed to hang suspended in mid air — parecía estar suspendido en el aire
- They're all suspended in mid-air and don't really have anything to say.
- Dozens of cages were suspended from special rods around the courtyard.
- The floor slab perimeters are suspended via steel hanging rods located in alternate curtain walling mullions with no columns at ground floor level to compromise the huge entrance foyer.
- The building is suspended from the cliff by cables, so when the glacier goes down, the restaurant literally hangs.
- Neon tubular lights in the shapes of numerical digits are suspended from its upper edge.
- The seats are suspended from wall and ceiling mounts.
- The key to the diary was suspended from a silver key chain.
- Fluid black jersey dresses were suspended from leather laces and geometric metal frames.
- Each of the fleecy shell jackets is suspended from a hook, with the trousers tucked in beneath and bent at the knee so that the seat touches the hem.
- Its other end was tied to the axle of the utility, and by its tautness the boy could see when Joe's full weight was suspended from it.
- They are suspended from the ceiling and wobble slightly if you lean against them.
- The missiles are suspended from four underwing pylons.
- A single lantern was suspended from another chain attached presumably to a ceiling of sorts, though Oliver's falcon eyes could not penetrate the darkness.
- At the head of the room, a large screen was suspended from the ceiling and onto it was projected what appeared to be the layout for their graduation.
- Several large, empty picture frames are suspended from the ceiling.
- Bunches of dried flowers hang from walls and ceiling; an ancient bird cage is suspended from a beam and a wooden hat-stand reminds us of years gone by.
- A timber deck is suspended from the concrete slab roof.
- Behind the low stage a large dark blue gauze drape with subtle, pastel coloured swirls was suspended from the high ceiling.
- There is also a shower room, and a cosy den - breaking away from all the open space - in which the warehouse's original hoisting gear is suspended from the ceiling.
- In some bizarre animator's joke, they were literally suspended, all hung in the air in a big room.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.