In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1US(braces)tirantes masculinetiradores masculine River Platesuspensores masculine Chilecargaderas feminine Colombia
- His uniform coat was tan, loose brown suspenders held up ill-fitting trousers, and he, too, was devoid of shoes.
- What's your verdict on wearing pants without a belt or suspenders?
- Think of suspenders for keeping your shirts tucked in.
- Your whole wardrobe is blue suspenders and red shirts.
- Consider wearing suspenders instead of a belt to minimize attention to your waistline.
- You owned a pair of rainbow suspenders just like Mork used to wear.
- Saturday evening saw me and some friends all decked out in sleek dresses, smart shirts, fancy suspenders, a couple of very nice hats and one truly fabulous vest.
- He was standing in the doorway, wearing a frown and a soiled T-shirt, his large belly protruding over his pants, held up by a pair of suspenders.
- I can remember the beginning of my academic career wherein all first-graders were compelled to wear short trousers and cloth suspenders over white shirts open at the neck, knee socks and leather shoes cut above the ankles.
- A plump figure dressed in a boring black shirt with blue suspenders stood up.
- Over that, she threw on an orange and black jacket and pair of funky suspenders.
- He wore a casual white dress shirt with black suspenders over it, and had dark pants that barely fit on his stout body.
- Every day of my junior year, I wore a pair of rainbow suspenders, jeans rolled up to my knees, striped knee socks, and a newsboy cap.
- With that, she took his black suspenders and a white shirt and undershirt.
- Nearly every other day at school, I wore combat boots, cook pants, a white shirt, suspenders, and a bowler.
- Men who insist on suspenders must leave the belt behind.
- He was about seventy, with suspenders over a short-sleeved shirt and a lopsided bow tie.
- Both offer everything from shirts and suspenders to frock coats and dusters (long coats).
- He wore a white shirt with black trousers and suspenders.
- Ann, known as Annette, was only eighteen when Bonaparte met her while buying a pair of suspenders at her mother's shop in Philadelphia.
2British(for stockings, socks)ligas feminine
- In contrast, when you stretch out a leg and place your toe into a rolled down sheer nylon stocking, there's a feeling of pure sensual pleasure as you slowly roll it up to hook into the suspender.
- A Vettriano woman wears stockings and suspenders, never tights.
- The short, light green dress exposed her stockings and suspenders and her long, slim legs.
- They wear boots and suspenders and corsets and, yes, hoop skirts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.