In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mentor que ejerce un control total sobre su protegido
- Eisenhower's ‘Madison Avenue’ consultant, Rosser Reeves, of the agency BBD&O, won renown that year as a campaign Svengali.
- He adhered to famously beautiful women, as lover or court poet or Svengali, or all three.
- Karl Rove, Bush's political Svengali, has told the party that security will be a Republican issue in this year's mid-term elections.
- That's our axe to grind: to prove that we are our own Svengalis.
- Was Sam Phillips a Svengali, a super salesman, or a shaman?
- Ronnie was well known as my Svengali, but I admitted nothing about his role.
- Acting as Svengali, manager and father figure, Tsunku's influence over the group is apparent at every level.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber was the Svengali who held the musical theatre stage in thrall.
- Crossover soul was the vision of Motown's founder - Svengali Berry Gordy.
- Grover grew up in London's East End, where he served time as an armed robber, a hairdresser, a boxer and a self-help Svengali - so he has a hinterland of experiences to draw on.
- Brandt - in the style of Svengalis throughout the ages - took a vulnerable young man and promised to make him a star.
- Hypnosis is not a sinister tool for Svengalis but a ‘gentle, effective and empowering therapy’.
- Music Svengalis litter the music industry, but there's only one Anthony H Wilson.
- So he's not the Svengali of myth who convinced a generation of kids that fame is a basic human right, regardless of ability?
- Nothing like a one-hit wonder band composed of former members of the ‘Mickey Mouse Club’, organized by a team of music industry Svengalis to spell true love.
- Smug, self-satisfied and more than a little bit weird, it's difficult to tell if Gest is indeed well-meaning or some kind of queer Svengali.
- They had better songs but more importantly they covered a broader age range, exhibiting a shrewdness lost on later generations of Svengalis.
- Of course, this also contributes to the disposability of idols: they become indistinguishable from one another, and they are rarely talented enough to survive without their Svengalis pulling their strings.
- The worst of it's that he's only 20 months old and the Svengali who has done this to him is his own grandfather.
- But the Svengali rolled his dice with Lohan's current popularity and lost miserably.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.