In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mozo masculine datedfestejante masculine dated
- Old and blind, Juliette gave her a lock of Chateaubriand's hair when her eighty-year-old swain died.
- Many a desperate swain would have risked life for the privilege of pressing his lips to the mysterious hand.
- ‘You sound like a lovesick swain,’ she told him, and walked to the window.
- In Lycidas, the poet / swain in the poem, together with the author, anticipate ‘Pastures new’ on the morrow.
- We all loved Queen Aouda and her handsome and dashing swain, the hero of the piece, Phileas Fogg.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.