In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1svástica feminineesvástica femininesuástica femininecruz gamada feminine
- In fact, the Nazi party appropriated the swastika as part of its drive to construct a political identity around a mythical German race.
- Nazi symbols including the swastika are already banned in Germany.
- The religious factor, with all the cross symbols, the Star of David, the Nazi swastika and all.
- The swastika is a popular emblem of good luck in Hindu and Buddhist culture.
- The principal image in the newspaper ads provided by the studio was one of arms with stars-and-stripes cuffs grabbing hold of the wrists of a Nazi with swastikas on his sleeves.
- Last September, white students at Elsinore High School in Riverside County confronted Latino students with racial insults and flags bearing iron crosses and swastikas.
- The attackers spraypainted a swastika and other Nazi graffiti on the walls.
- Hitler turned the swastika into a striking political symbol and wreaked devastation beneath it.
- The last swastika on a German public building has been stolen just before officials were going to remove it.
- One person in attendance was seen wearing a KKK pin and another wore an arm band with a Nazi swastika.
- This did not have the Christian cross as its symbol but the swastika.
- But such groups are forbidden to deny that the Holocaust occurred and to display Nazi symbols such as the swastika.
- Israeli and German diplomats have lashed out at a Hong Kong fashion company for using swastikas and other Nazi party symbols.
- German law bars any trade using Hitler portraits, swastikas or National Socialist symbols.
- The child, who must be clean and well dressed, sits on a cushion under which has been drawn a swastika, symbol of stability.
- Together with election placards bearing his picture, many Fortuyn supporters wore swastikas and other Nazi symbols.
- The rubble was cleared, historic buildings were restored and, their swastikas removed, Nazi buildings were ‘normalized.’
- And incidentally, it's in India where the ancient symbol of the swastika originated.
- Some wore T-shirts with the Star of David twisted into Nazi swastikas.
- The flat where they worked themselves up with ‘White Power’ music before the attack was adorned with swastikas and other Nazi symbols.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.