In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Britishnabo sueco masculine
- The dish of vegetables that accompanied our meal was generous, too: roasted and boiled potatoes, swede, green beans, carrots and mange-tout: all freshly cooked and all managing to retain their flavour.
- Root vegetables such as turnips, swedes and potatoes can last for months if kept in the dark.
- Then parsnips, onions, carrots, swedes, chestnuts, haricot beans or split peas, a garlic clove.
- Not knowing how large our portions would be, we ordered side dishes of new potatoes and glazed carrots and swedes.
- Steam them for mash (butter, salt, maybe some fried onions on top) or add them to the vegetable basics of a stew (carrot, swede, celery and onion) and let their sweetness flavour the broth.
- Finely dice the onion, and cut the potato and swede into 1cm pieces.
- Thicken soups and casseroles with puréed vegetables such as potato, swedes, onions and carrots.
- Peel the celeriac and cut it into 0.5cm cubes, like a swede.
- All the main courses came with vegetables, on this occasion garden peas, sugar snap peas, swede batons and new potatoes.
- A modest blob of piping hot swede holds the heat for ages and is brilliant for making sure the plate and the meat stay warm to the table.
- We picked potatoes, carrots, peas and swedes for the farmers, wild brambles and mushrooms for the pantry and rose hips for vitamin C syrup.
- Sarah had kedgeree which looked gorgeous but I didn't taste it, and Peter had pot-roasted lamb with swede.
- My lamb was excellent, the meat tasty and perfectly-cooked, on a bed of couscous with chunks of veg including swede and peppers, again perfectly-done, mixed in with it.
- Terry's tamarind oxtail braised with dates and lychees came with Southland swede.
- Steve Habgood was selling parsnips, artichokes, potatoes and swedes grown at Purton House Organic Farm.
- I'll be eating turkey, Brussel sprouts, swedes, potatoes, gravy and a couple of glasses of wine and a glass of beer.
- He consumes processed seeds such as wheat and soya; roots such as potatoes, turnips, and swedes; plus a wide variety of leaves from cabbages to spinach.
- Some grass is grown on the farm for hay or silage, together with swede, turnip or kale for winter forage because grass growth declines drastically in the winter.
- It comes into its own when mashed and mixed with carrot or swede.
- My colleague selected honey-glazed pork in garlic, together with roast potatoes, sprouts and diced swede, advertised at £3.65.
- As a consequence, the Swedish Rally is the only remaining event that has yet to be won by anyone but a Swede or a Finn.
- The Spanish, Swedes, Danes and Italians are also expected to back the proposals.
- If they go on preaching this doctrine, the Germans will get a bomb, then the Swedes, then the Israelis.
- The Swedes and Finns have been harvesting forest biomass to use as energy since the 1970s.
- Do you realize that among the dead and missing are 20,000 Swedes and over 3,000 Americans?
- Wouldn't it be great if the Swedes or the Czechs or the Slovaks had to knock us off our style of game for them to have any chance of beating us?
- We are a six-man team up against the Swiss, Austrians, Swedes and Italians among others.
- A Swedish man made history yesterday as the first Swede charged with file sharing.
- Payne was the sole British player on a leaderboard entirely dominated by Swedes.
- To an outsider it seems self-evident which way the Danes and the Swedes must vote in their referenda.
- The competition for the purest vodka is now a two-horse race between the Swedes and the Finns.
- Danes and Swedes are among the greatest enthusiasts for plaice, and the former at least prefer to buy their plaice alive.
- Wearing a wad of knee strapping that an Egyptian mummy would consider excessive, the Swede was not to be properly tested.
- The Danes and the Swedes are picking up the bills for their royals while they are here.
- Since the Swede's command of the national team it has enjoyed a fair modicum of success, but only results-wise.
- Over here there's a few Swedes and Finns discussing strategy in their native tongues.
- The British, Dutch and Swedes were all firmly opposed to starting talks now.
- Language is not a barrier either, as most Swedes and Danes speak very good English.
- On the scorched earth at Wimbledon, the progress of a young Swede had enthralled the nation.
- You have to think that a team made up of Swedes, Spaniards and all the rest is fairly diverse in terms of temperament and personality.
1sueco masculinesueca feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.